Connect with us

NiMH charging IC help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by dbyrd26, Mar 8, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. dbyrd26

dbyrd26

Sep 16, 2013
    I have this IC here http://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAX712-MAX713.pdf
    I'm following the "typical operating circuit" schematic on the first page and I'm a bit confused. Theres "battery" and then theres "load". I start looking at datasheets and after a while I feel like i'm reading a foreign language :confused: Can someone tell me what these mean?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The load is the circuit powered by your battery. This charger can be wired in to a circuit so it keeps the battery charged while the circuit operates.

3. dbyrd26

dbyrd26

Sep 16, 2013
    Ah ok this makes sense. Thank you!

4. dbyrd26

dbyrd26

Sep 16, 2013
    can someone look at this data sheet and tell me about the input voltage? It says max 5.5 but if you read further down I think in step 2 it says that you need to use at least 6 volts...

Correction: Number 4 under getting started

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    It is a little confusing until you read that the device has an internal 5V shunt regulator.

The voltage on the power pin will be between 4.5V and 5.5V as indicated on the specifications, but this is (mostly) determined by the inbuilt shunt regulator.

When being powered by a higher voltage, the series resistor drops the excess voltage. You will note that the datasheet warns against excess dissipation in the package due to the shunt regulator (a shunt regulator is essentially a zener diode, or a circuit that acts like a really good zener diode).

So yeah, both are right.

6. dbyrd26

dbyrd26

Sep 16, 2013
    I see. When I ordered this IC, I glanced at the datasheet and the schematic. It seemed simple enough, but it's really giving me a headache.

Ask a Question