Maker Pro
Maker Pro

NiCAD Battery Charger Replacement

COlson

Mar 22, 2009
Hello all: I'm totally new to this forum and have a couple of questions I'll be posting. I hope someone can point me in the right direction and/or correct forum.
I need to replace a battery charger for a Ni-Cad set of batteries. The battery package appears to be 4AA size batteries and says Ni-CD AA700mAh 4.8V on it. I purchased a transformer/charger from the OEM for a rediculous amount of $$$ and need two more (ouch). However, I have a dozen or so very similar around the house and hope I could I could substitute them if I rewire with the correct male plug.
The OEM charger says Input 120V 60Hz with output of 5.8V/100mA. I've searched everywhere and can't find exactly that transformer. One company says their 6V/1000mA will work fine because the batteries will only draw what they need.(?) If that's the case, why have such a wide selection of amps available? We could all just use one amperage?
Here's the real question.
What I hope to use is a cell phone charger (for example) that says 120V 60Hz input with a 5.9V/300mA output. I have about a half dozen of these around the house and can certainly hook a DMM to verify.
Will this work without burning out the batteries or frying the charger?

Thank you so much!!

Curtis