Connect with us

Ni-MH Battery Charger

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Omelas0469, Aug 18, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Omelas0469

Omelas0469

Aug 18, 2010
    Hi,

I'm new to the forum and and hoping to learn some of the basics of electronics repair. I built a heterodyne radio four years ago in a physics class so I've had exposure to the basic principles but it's been so long that I've forgotten a lot.

What piqued my interest again?

I've got this Sanyo Ni-MH Battery charger that just stopped working. I've had it for about 4 months now and only used it twice. One of the rechargeable batteries that came with it died so I plugged in the charger and stuck the battery in but the LED lights at the bottom of the charger that show the it's charging did not light. I tried putting other batteries to see if the battery was the problem but no dice. I also tried using a different electrical outlet but that didn't make a difference either.

The charger has two "charging" indicator LEDs at the bottom. The only possible "sign of life" I noticed is that when I plug it into an outlet is that when the connector first enters the outlet, the LED on the right flicks on for about half a second and that's it.

I tried leaving the charger plugged in for two hours with the battery in it and then I tested the battery with a multimeter to see if it got charged at all and it didn't.

I opened it up to see if I could notice anything wrong with the circuit but couldn't find anything suspicious looking through the eyes of an amateur. Most of the components are basic ones I recognize: resistors, ceramic capacitor, fuse, and diodes but there are a few components I've never seen before.

I'd love to learn how I can go about troubleshooting this device. I'm curious to know what could have possibly gone sour seeing how I only used it two times.

I already tested the fuse and it was fine.

Would anyone be able to walk me through how they would diagnose the problem here? I'd really like to understand what happened.

I'm providing pictures of the back, front, and inside the device as it's pretty simple looking.

Attached Files:

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Have you tested for DC volts across the battery terminals in the charger ?

there may be a battery sense cct that requires a battery to be inserted for a charging voltage to be present
    One 4 port charger I have wont charge just 1 battery. It needs 2 batteries in a side by side pair of ports for the charging light to come on. Could well be yoour problem

cheers
    Dave

3. Omelas0469

Omelas0469

Aug 18, 2010
    Problem solved - thanks davenn that was a much simpler solution than I was expecting

Thanks davenn, that was the solution.
    I was really expecting there to be an electronic problem but it turns out I just didn't know how to use the product... kind of embarrassing for my first thread! :p

For anyone else that has a similar issue, I find out that this charger will only charge 2 or 4 batteries. Here's the documentation for it.

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    happens to the best of us mate good that your up and going ;)

as the ol' saying goes... "if all else fails ... Read the instructions" haha

Dave

Ask a Question