Connect with us

Newbie Project

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Jimb011, Dec 12, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Jimb011

Jimb011

Dec 12, 2012
    Hello, I know nothing about electronics but would like to start learning. My first Idea is to take apart a broken metal detector I have and see If I can fix it. If I can't fix it I'd just see how stuff works inside. Before I begin I'd like to know as much as possible about the parts I'll be dealing with. I'd like to find a blueprint but I doubt I will. Any suggestions or step by step processes I should know about?

This is the Detectors Manual though I didn't find much use in it.
    http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/uc/rsk/Support/ProductManuals/6303013_PM_EN.pdf

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi there Jim,
    welcome to the forums :)

OK so for a start, what is/are the fault/symptoms ?
    then did the troubleshooting section in the manual cover the fault/symptom ?

carefully take the covers off the unit, be aware of wires that may go fro mthe circuit board to the meter etc on the cover
    Ya never know it may just be a wire broken off somewhere

you could take a couple of nice sharp and clear pics and post them up here for us to look at, keep them to a max size of ~ 800x600 and 100kb or less

cheers
    Dave

3. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    Please use .PNG files if possible. Jpegs are lossy so details become distorted. If your camera has a macro mode, use it. Lots of light from two sides helps the camera increase it's depth of field so everything is in focus and there's no glare from a flash.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    If the compression is turned up as it default in most programs (usually Q-75ish) yes artifacts can be horrible with jpeg, but if you adjust to Q-90 or better the artifacts are minimal... I advise everyone to adjust their photo editing program to at least jpeg Q-90 unless file size is absolutely needed... PNG will always be better as it won't have any artifacts but overkill in many cases...

5. Jimb011

Jimb011

Dec 12, 2012
    Well I guess I should be more clear. I would like to find out whats wrong with it, but my priority is to learn how it works and what each of the parts do (since i'm missing half the detector anyway as it is and only have the analog circuit box) I will post pictures of the process of removing the case, but just so you all know I'm looking to find a way to blue print everything as well and figure out what everything does.

6. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Taking it apart is not a good way to learn how it works. I will be very difficult to correctly draw the schematic, you will likely have difficulty identifying all the parts, and even if you have the correct schematic, you will not, as a beginner, be able to learn anything about it without a lot of help.

If you want to learn about electronics, you need to start with something much simpler.

Bob

7. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    You're just missing the search coil? Is that the only reason it doesn't work?

8. Jimb011

Jimb011

Dec 12, 2012
    If this is the case, do you have any suggestions on where I should begin?

No, I don't know why it's not working. I've had it for at least 8 years and its just been sitting idle in my closet.

9. Jimb011

Jimb011

Dec 12, 2012
    I hate to push this topic, but I'm trying to get into the electronics field for a career and i'd like some straight answers. I need a project where I will learn about the innards of electronic devices (emphasizing the learning part) and what not. Can I get any suggestions?

10. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    There are many tutorials available on the web. Find one that has you make a lot of circuits starting with very simple and progressing in complexity.

You will want to get:

A solderless breadboard.
    A multitmeter.
    A bunch of parts, Sparkfun sells a kit of common parts that would be useful for beginners.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10003

Sparkfun is a very good resource for electronic hobbyists.

Bob

Ask a Question