Connect with us

Newbie leds for blinker lights

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by Peter Rake, Sep 14, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Peter Rake

Peter Rake

Sep 14, 2017
    I am new to this but not to the world as I have been here nigh on 80 years, as us oldies would say.

My car has a let down steering wheel which when down in its most comfortable position I can't see the green blinking arrows, and as I am deaf I can't hear the clicker. I could get a louder clicker but that would drive passengers mad.

SO, I went to my Motor electrical bloke and he put in two small red led lights, which do work in coordination with the blinkers; however I am now used to these lights and they do no remind me any more, which leaves me prone to a fine.

I don't need a couple of 500 watt flood lights, but I was thinking along the line of a set up of say some leds in green to the left and some to the right, working in sequence to the blinkers, BUT they might not work at the same speed, so I need one of you folk to come with something. The site for this set up is in behind the steering wheel towards the dash....(Trivia where dose the word Dash come from, no googling) There is not much room under the cover over the blinker set up and the wipers and lights switches, so I don’t mind a black box on top of the site as long as it is not obtrusive.

Possibly these leds would need to be switched on/off for the rare night travel I do as I would see the reflection of the standard blinkers.

I like gadgets and have a few of the usual, so you can be a bit creative.

I will give photos after I find someone that is willing to take on a design projest for me, either to make and sell to me or just the design, what ever is the best.

2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    What's to say that any further modifications wouldn't also end up the same way?

I always thought indicators were auto-cancelling anyway? They are in all the cars I've ever owned.

Harald Kapp likes this.
  3. Peter Rake

Peter Rake

Sep 14, 2017

A rather negative reply, I thought. There is nothing to say that some in adequate system will not end up the same way, that is why I placed myself in the hands of you xspurts.
    As cars get older the cancelling system does not always work, I have not been in the privileged class where I can have a new car every year.

Thanks for you comment.

4. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    Sounds like what you need is a timed single shot Piezo circuit.

Chris

5. Peter Rake

Peter Rake

Sep 14, 2017

I wuz jist gunna say that!!!!!! Please explain, Chris.

6. Braeden Hamson

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
    I really wanna know where dash came from now. Is it something you dash under? Or dash your head against?

Also are the red blinking lights connected directly to the blinker lights?
    If so we can use that as a signal for a pair of transistors which will switch on some led strip lights. You could mount green (blue or red flashing lights on the dash are a big fine haha) ones on top of your dash so that the light is reflected off the windshield and into your line of sight. Like a head up display. Cant miss that.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  7. Peter Rake

Peter Rake

Sep 14, 2017
    Yes, they are directly connected. The place most suited for the LED's I think is where the red ones are now, somehow. In font or behind the steering wheel, depends on how you see it but it is the covering that is over the blinker, wiper, light switching apparatus. These red ones are not bright and are only about 6mm dia.

As the red ones are in and wired, could we use that wiring for the LED strips you speak of. I really do think that moving LEDs would attract my attention better.

Night driving really doesn't come into it. I am not let out at night and on the rare occasion I escape, The normal green lights in the dash panel is sufficiently lit for even this old bloke.

Thanks heaps for your interest. I will upload a photo of the site tomorrow.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  8. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    Option (A):
    A timer circuit that begins timing when it senses that your turn signal has been turned on. At the end of the timed period it outputs a single 1 second pulse. This pulse current can drive a piezo that incorporates an integral tone oscillator. Soooo... After timeout you will hear a single 1 second tone if you forget to turn off the turn signal.

Option (B):
    Same as Option A except after timeout it continues beeping in synch with the turn signal lights.

Option (C):
    Same as Option B except the beeper is replaced with an audio device that loudly plays the most irritating piece of RAP CRAP we can find! :eek:

Cheers,
    Chris

9. Braeden Hamson

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
    Haha splash board, I like that.
    I think that moving LEDs, like a marquee board, would be overly complicated. I think a 12v LED module will be sufficiently attention getting as they're damn near blindingly bright. We could potentially include a dimmer of some variation so you can adjust the brightness.
    To those more electrically adept than I in this instance can we just use a potentiometer as a rheostat in a voltage divider setup to reduce the brightness? Because I think wiring a PWM circuit is beyond the scope here.

10. Peter Rake

Peter Rake

Sep 14, 2017
    I am thinking that any audio device would drive my passenger insane. I am 26% deaf and that is why I do not hear the blinkers. It is very difficult to wear hearing aids in the car, there are trillions of sounds in an older car, 1998, and increasing the density of sound is not an option.

I wonder if I can get the self cancelling system back up to new?

11. Peter Rake

Peter Rake

Sep 14, 2017
    'Tis true, many words come from the past in carriage making and car making. Here is another one for you: Furlong. Nothing to do with cars, of course,

And, What is the name of the persons responsible for the body of cars, buses, etc.. It is a trade.

I am space constricted under the cowling of the site, that is why the Auto elec. put in the small lights. I think if they had been plain or green they would have been better, red is not a good daytime warning although it is used a lot.

When I get around to posting the photo of the mounting sight it may help with design.

I was thinking of training my little dog to bite my foot every time I left the blinkers on...I wonder how that would work.

12. Braeden Hamson

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
    Hmmm furlong, i know it's a measurement. Based on the name along I say the length of a beaver pelt. I'm from Oregon and biased toward the beaver fur trade. Would the person who builds the body be a coach builder?

Yeah a picture would help at this point. I was thinking mounting them elsewhere in the cabin. I was thinking perhaps mount it along the brim of the gauge cluster cowl. Perhaps with scotch double sided foam tape. You could probably hang off of a few square inches of that stuff so it will work well. Though if you want a low profile arrangement we can work that out too. I think perhaps you only need one light. You don't need to know which blinker is on merely the fact that a blinker is on.

Hahaha we should just used trained dogs in place of all electronics. I'm sure i can teach my dog to answer my google questions.

13. Peter Rake

Peter Rake

Sep 14, 2017
    Furlong is used in racing in Australia and England. The word originated in England and represented the length of a furrow. There 8 furlongs to the mile. Get ya' pooch ready, and get him/her to Google the rest. Carriage maker is correct.

O' Regan, isn't that the Irish timber. I think you have spelt it wrong.

The first photo shows the red lights. This is the view I get from my eye-level to the dash with the steering in the up position. IMG_0944.JPG

IMG_0942.JPG IMG_0942.JPG IMG_0943.JPG IMG_0944.JPG IMG_0943.JPG IMG_0942.JPG IMG_0943.JPG IMG_0944.JPG .

14. Braeden Hamson

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
    Haha Australia, right hand drive. Is that a dash cover on top? That could be useful to cover some LEDs. It's pretty easy to get some stupid bright LED's. You could mount 4 (3v drop per LED 4 LEDs would drop 12 volts) right under your dash cover then wires could run down to a control box mounted below your climate controls and such. It could even be mounted below the steering wheel. The control box would contain a transistor, a power switch and, a dimmer module (if desired) We could also cook up an IC that would always make the system be on when the car starts. Or we can just use a toggle switch (see my signature) if you don't mind ensuring its on before you set out.

15. Peter Rake

Peter Rake

Sep 14, 2017
    In hospital at this time, will get back soon

16. Tha fios agaibh

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
    Another idea is to use small vibration motors in your seat. You could put one on the left side and one on the right?

17. Braeden Hamson

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
    Ahh man, hope you're feeling better again soon.

18. Braeden Hamson

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
    I like that idea. But for me I'd leave my blinker on for the butt massage.

Tha fios agaibh likes this.
  19. Peter Rake

Peter Rake

Sep 14, 2017
    Thanks Mate, got home today, back in business. I like the butt massager too, I might get too many women wanting to drive my little car, and that would never do!!!!!!! Maybe I could get some brighter green or clear leds to replace the red ones, they are a bit dull, me' thinks! Not unlike my self at the moment.

PS: I have got that dreaded COPD with a dose of flu on top of it.

Why do the French eat snails?

Braeden Hamson likes this.
  20. Braeden Hamson

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
    Hahaha, I wouldn't see your car not being crashed for long in that configuration.

So, here are some LED options, also do you have any idea of the voltage that's going to those LEDs? At the moment I'm assuming 12v

Firstly, we can basically replicate what you have now with much brighter LEDs. I was thinking you could point these at you. You will not miss them. They might actually be too bright.

http://lighthouseleds.com/10mm-12v-pre-wired-led-green-ultra-bright-15-000-mcd.html

There are also LED strips which are really nice. You will not miss these when they're on.

http://lighthouseleds.com/green-plcc2-3528-12v-led-strip.html

And since you'll already have to somewhat disassemble your steering column you can add this little switch to control the lights

http://lighthouseleds.com/12v-spst-rocker-toggle-switch-green-led-car-truck.html

You'd wire it so it interrupts the ground of the LEDs that way you only need one switch. I can draw up a simple schematic if you'd like.

Do the French eat snails because they like to get parasites? Because there are many, many parasites that start out life in snails.

Ask a Question