Connect with us

Newbie from Atlanta

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bumble864, Mar 26, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. bumble864

bumble864

Mar 26, 2013
    Hiya,
    I always pop into the introductions forum to give a quick hello and tell y'all my name is Russ, and I'm new here :). My level with electronics is pretty much pre-novice. I did wire up a few LED's a few years back for some moon lighting in a fish tank but other than that I haven't done anything since high school electronics back in the mid 90's.
    I'm going to start a thread in the "projects" forum because a small project is my primary reason for coming here but my second reason is this; After doing some searching online I found lots of computer programs that allow me to design and print out circuit boards but is there one that can simulate the circuit board when in use? Maybe give tips for improvement? Show me if what I have will blow up or if my power source isn't big enough?

Thanks,
    Russ

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Welcome to Electronics Point Russ.

Your detailed question is perhaps better posed somewhere else, but I'll give you a brief reply here.

Simulation is normally done on the schematic, not the PCB layout. And yes, there are several tools that will let you simulate your circuit. (Google "electronic circuit simulator")

Typically they won't tell you if something is going to blow up (or at least the simple ones won't). They'll quite happily simulate tens of amps through a tiny transistor. But you can probe the simulation and see what currents and voltages are. This allows you to see if you're doing anything wrong.

3. bumble864

bumble864

Mar 26, 2013
    Thanks Steve.
    It sounds like that's a great start. I'll give a few software packages a try and see what happens but it sounds like there's software out there that'll verify that I'm using correct parts which is nice.

Russ

Ask a Question