Connect with us

Newbie Capacitor Question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Sam Gidman, Mar 18, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Sam Gidman

Sam Gidman

Mar 18, 2015
    Hi i'm following a guide on how to replace the Capacitors in a Sega Game Gear, the guide shows them replacing with electrolytic capacitors, what i want to know is can you replace the capacitors with the small surface mount caps? is there any difference betweens types of capactors apart from the obvious ratings?

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Hi Sam
    welcome to EP

Show us a sharp clear pic of the board with the caps you were thinking of replacing and we can advise of what is appropriate

Dave

3. Sam Gidman

Sam Gidman

Mar 18, 2015
    [​IMG]
    this is the board i was wondering if the capacitors in the following work the same is there any difference
    [​IMG]

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Those caps pictured are not polarised ones

circle the caps on the board you wanted to replace
    I don't see any electrolytic caps on there

and why do you think there is a cap problem ?

Dave

5. Sam Gidman

Sam Gidman

Mar 18, 2015
    sorry i should explain a bit more from doing a bit of research on the net a common problem with the sega game gear is the caps go making the screen and audio not work properly and every video i see shows people replacing the caps on the board with electrolytic caps which looks rather messy i was just wondering if you can get the little polarised caps similar to the pic above, here are the caps labelled [​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Those are tantalum capacitors
    When they fail they usually do so violently .... ie they literally burn up
    I don't think I have ever seen one fail without showing signs of significant stress
    burned cracked etc

They are the best style for that job, there isn't anything better
    you could use a multimeter on Ohms range and see if any have short circuited, you may need to unsolder one end first before testing

cheers
    Dave

7. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Also note that the voltage rating is important when replacing them. You might find small surface mount replacements for some of the smaller caps, but make sure the voltage rating is the same or higher than the original.

Bob

Sam Gidman likes this.
Ask a Question