Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Newbe need help with solenoid kicker project.

TyeRant

Dec 16, 2020
I have been trying to figure out how to build a kicker to be able to launch a metal pinball type ball with a decent amount of speed and force. The closest projects I have seen is a coil gun. I am half copying a couple of projects I saw and have ordered a few parts. (I am not well versed in electronics yet) I need help selecting a thyristor/smc.

I ordered the following:

63v 2200uf Capacitor(s)
A solenoid - Model JF-0826B -Rated Voltage: DC 12V - Rated Current: 2A
A DC-DC Boost Step up Converter 5-32V to 5V-55V Power Supply Module - Max 2A

I plan to use a 4s or 6s 18650 battery pack
a momentary switch to charge to desired voltage (the converter has an led indicator)
A momentary switch to trigger it

I am guessing I should use a thyristor/smc for the triggering of the capacitor. There is where I get into trouble! I have no clue what to order? I assume it would need to make sure it could handle the peak voltage and current of the set-up but I have no idea how to figure it out.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
TyeRant

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Don't think you're going to get much assistance to design a gun, regardless of it's name.
Many places it is considered highly illegal.

TyeRant

Dec 16, 2020
Not building a gun. Trying to build something to kick a heavy ball with some gusto. Similar to the golf ball kickers but with a little more of a kick and a heavier ball. Far from a gun... The projects I am emulating were in excess of 200-300v. I am scaling way down to reduce velocity... Looking for a ball kicker not a weapon.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
launch a metal pinball type ball with a decent amount of speed and force

Sounds like a gun to me and I'll bet to all intents and purposes to those in higher authority.
As I said, regardless of what you may like to call it.

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
Sounds like a gun to me and I'll bet to all intents and purposes to those in higher authority.
As I said, regardless of what you may like to call it.
Depends on how many farads he needs, if its only a millifarad its quite harmless.

TyeRant

Dec 16, 2020
Looking for something like this...
Want to use one 63v 2200uf charged to 55v max so no where near a gun...

Frankchie

Nov 14, 2017
I don't know much about thyristors/scr and you don't give a lot of circuit details to enable someone to recommend one for you.

If I was in your situation, given that I also have minimal thyristor knowledge, I would google thyristor/scr circuits and see if a circuit or application is similar to my needs and check the data sheet for the thyristor used. I might also look at web vendor part sites that show orders or reviews for thyristors to identify popular choices.

Some vendor web sites (Mouser, etc) enable you to input various parameters to select a specific device from a family of such devices.

BTW, good thing you never mentioned needing a trigger circuit...:)

P.S. re: "Thermistor/smc" I don't know what an "smc" is, other than a semiconductor manufacturer.