Maker Pro
Maker Pro

New vs Old Electrolytic Capacitor Sizes

Gristle McThornbody

Mar 14, 2012
I read a thread the other day where someone asked why there were so many different sizes and shapes of capacitors. Along those lines, I'm comparing two electrolytic caps of very different sizes and wondering why they are so different.

The first is an older Sprague Powerlytic 36D rated at 5,000 mf @45 volts. It measures 2 inches in diameter and about 3 inches tall. It has threaded bolt terminals on top.

The second is a newer cap made by RIFA (no. PEH532JCD5100M2) rated at 10,000 mf @35 v. It has board mount terminals and is much smaller, measuring 1 1/4 inches in diameter and 1 1/2 inches high. It's volume is only a fraction of the larger Sprague cap, but has greater capacitance.

Is this size difference due entirely to newer versus older materlals, etc., or are there other factors? I know that in some things, older, larger devices and equipment are often more robust and durable that smaller high tech equivalents. Is that part of what's going on here?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
snip
Is this size difference due entirely to newer versus older materlals, etc., or are there other factors? I know that in some things, older, larger devices and equipment are often more robust and durable that smaller high tech equivalents. Is that part of what's going on here?

as commented in the other thread.... pretty much, as time has gone by manufacturing techniques have improved, better dielectrics etc

cheers
Dave

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
It's entirely, advances in new materials and chemicals used in the manufacturing process.

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
I was marveling at the very thing the other day when I was harvesting parts from some wall warts. What was a large 'pill bottle' sized capacitor in the tube days is now smaller than my pinky.