Connect with us

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by EuanFox, Feb 18, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. EuanFox

EuanFox

Feb 18, 2012
    Hello all! I'm Euan, 19 years old, from North Wales. Music student and guitar player, I have only recently begun to get an interest in electronics, mainly because of the obvious link between musical instruments and electronics. More to the point, I have decided to give a go at building myself a valve guitar amp. I'm sure it's tricky, but you can't do anything if you don't try! If anyone has tried this before, these are the schematics and layouts I will be using:

http://www.prowessamplifiers.com/schematics/fender/deluxe_reverb_aa763_schem.pdf
    http://www.prowessamplifiers.com/schematics/fender/deluxe_reverb_aa763_layout.pdf

I know very little, if anything at all about electronics, so I will probably be asking a lot of questions, but answering very few, and maybe one day the information I find out on this forum will really come in handy in a way other than customizing my musical equipment! :D

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi Euan,
    welcome to the forums

you are probably picking a project that is way out of your depth as a beginner project
    two reasons
    1--- seriously difficult in construction, let alone the sourcing of parts for it
    2--- you will be dealing with some quite high voltages, DEFINATELY NOT something to be doing as a beginner.
    The chances of zapping yourself would be quite high.

if you are serious about learning electronics.... go to a music shop and buy a used Fender amp :) thus ensuring long life
    to have the time to build up less complicated and lower voltage circuit kitsets etc

To be honest, even with my 40 years of electronics experience, many of which included restoring old valve radios,
    I wouldnt even attempt to build that amp

cheers
    Dave

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  3. EuanFox

EuanFox

Feb 18, 2012
    Hey Dave!

I had a feeling this would be tricky, and I'm glad to have been stopped way before I started! What you said makes sense, and really I'm going to use the beginner excuse for thinking it's easier than it is :)

I guess I'll start out with something pretty basic. Makes sense, I knew I was diving into the deep end too soon :D

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    No probs mate,

Some times on forums it may sound as tho people are just being negative and trying to put you off for no good reason.
    But that wasnt my aim, I just wanted you to understand what you were in for, considering your stated zero to little experience.
    its like the old saying.... " how do you eat an elephant? -- 1 bite at a time " is. start small and work your way through to more complex projects, with each step learn how and why the circuit works :)
    or in the word of Clint Eastwood in his Dirty Harry series of movies (and one of my fav sayings) ..... " a man has gotta know his limitations" hahaha :)

its good that you understand this, there have been many, over the years, on here that havent
    there's a great bunch of knowledgable guys on here that have expertise in various fields usually one or more will come up with suggestions or help

cheers
    Dave

Ask a Question