Maker Pro
Maker Pro

New member, project help

jocamo

Jul 23, 2012
Greetings all, first time here.

I'm installing a solar attic fan for exhaust purposes on my roof.

While my panel will be appropriately faced SW (for my location), I wanted to add a second panel for transitions in available light; It would have a more East-by-northeast azimuth to catch the sun before it crests my roof to the back of the house (where panel #1 will be mounted), enabling a greater amount of direct sunlight in a day.

QUESTION:

I need a recommendation to build a switch that evaluates current produced (or in this case, volts) by each panel and chooses that panel to supply the fan. My current fan uses a 20W panel, so I would suspect a like-watted panel for panel #2.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

J

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
In my opinion I would just use them both at all times, that way you dont have to use any extra power on the actual switching mechanism.
You can do this with some diodes, with low voltage/current loss when forward biased but good ratings for reverse biasing, that way you dont lose power on the energizing the other panel but you can use both at the same time, if the sun is in between them

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
In my opinion I would just use them both at all times, <snip>

Sometimes I'm too impulsive. I was about to sketch up a sensor/switch-over circuit. Makes no sense at all though. ;)