Maker Pro
Maker Pro

New member and need help with electronics

Silly_Ghillie

Nov 28, 2014
Hey everyone. I just signed up to ask this question. It might sound odd. But my teacher in school asked me to build some box for her that has her favourite students face on it and when you press a button on the box the mouth moves and plays a randomly selected sound from 2 sec to 10 sec. Sorry if this is a basic question, hopewfully you understand where I come from.

Thanks

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
We need some background here. Are YOU your teacher's favourite student? If not, how much is she willing to pay for the talking moving picture box? How many "randomly selected sound" clips are stored in the box? This project sounds like a "smart phone" application to me. You get the "favourite student" to record a series of video clips and play them back at random on the smart phone. Find someone who knows how to write cell phone apps.

Nedly2

Dec 9, 2014
Very unusual! An app might be possible, you could check out the basic platforms to construct them. But that still sounds like a lot, unless you were some college major taking electronics or CIS courses in which case I would suspect you would know more about the subject. With that said, I am absolutely dumbfounded as to the reason for the assignment. Was the assignment given to every student?

If not, and this is some favor requested from you, then I would definitely be wondering the word "why". I mean, is it every day a teacher goes up to a student and requests this? Or did you provoke it in some fashion?

Outside of all of that, to answer the question, when you think about choosing a random sound from some storage or data base, you are getting into something a little more extensive like an app. Unless you were lucky enough to find some type of recording device that had the function to choose at random, which to my knowledge would be like playing the lottery (technically speaking about code 'if else then' in combination with recording devices).

If not that case, then the sounds that would be played would have to be in a random enough order that it seems like it is choosing sounds at random even so it is just playing down through a shuffled list. Or you could put a speaker in it that has wireless capabilities to your buddies mic outside of the class room, have him make the random noises for you when you see her open the box.. : D

Silly_Ghillie

Nov 28, 2014
Very unusual! An app might be possible, you could check out the basic platforms to construct them. But that still sounds like a lot, unless you were some college major taking electronics or CIS courses in which case I would suspect you would know more about the subject. With that said, I am absolutely dumbfounded as to the reason for the assignment. Was the assignment given to every student?

If not, and this is some favor requested from you, then I would definitely be wondering the word "why". I mean, is it every day a teacher goes up to a student and requests this? Or did you provoke it in some fashion?

Outside of all of that, to answer the question, when you think about choosing a random sound from some storage or data base, you are getting into something a little more extensive like an app. Unless you were lucky enough to find some type of recording device that had the function to choose at random, which to my knowledge would be like playing the lottery (technically speaking about code 'if else then' in combination with recording devices).

If not that case, then the sounds that would be played would have to be in a random enough order that it seems like it is choosing sounds at random even so it is just playing down through a shuffled list. Or you could put a speaker in it that has wireless capabilities to your buddies mic outside of the class room, have him make the random noises for you when you see her open the box.. : D

I just did this for fun cause to be honest my teacher has this student that she finds really funny so I wanted to create a couple recordings and have it play random soundtracks when you press the button. I don't know how I came up with this idea in the first place but idk anymore. I may just code a bit of software and tell my teacher to install it. And thanks for being friendly unlike the guy above you :)