Maker Pro
Maker Pro

New idea for oscillator

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
Ive just got this crazy idea, where I was thinking an oscillator pretty much is a capacitor, in a loop with another capacitor (with a controlled voltage of course.), and back and forth it goes pinging off its transistors.

I was wondering, it seems like it would be a lot of work, but if u instead of using a feedback loop, you actually play out the twin state in a tree like fashion and u can get all the pulses down a linear array of wires at the output! There would be a million wires for a megahert. (thats a 1000x1000 fat fist wad of wires.) if you were charging it back and forth for a second, with a million pathways.
The cool thing, is youd know the hz of your oscillator just by looking at the pathways.

So its like a binary tree, and of every right node, it has a short to fill a slowdown capacitor, so every time it goes right, it waits a step, and every time it goes left, it gets it straight away.

If you didnt want to go crazy pearling out a megahert million wires, it still would be good for adding extra rotations that maybe your logic requires, if your osc has only 2 states to begin with, u can get more.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Ive just got this crazy idea, where I was thinking an oscillator pretty much is a capacitor, in a loop with another capacitor (with a controlled voltage of course.), and back and forth it goes pinging off its transistors

Yep, that's a crazy idea.

It might be worth investigating what an oscillator actually is.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Oh, wait, wait. Lmgtfy!
Hey! Hey! Hey! I followed that link and it led to other links. And when I looked at all of them, nowhere did I find a 1000 x 1000 fat fist full of wires! So maybe this IS a crazy new idea! Well, crazy anyway. But wait! What if I want a 0.1 Hz oscillator? Does that require a tenth of a wire? Much more detailed information is required of @ratstar, including schematic drawings, wire gauges and wire lengths, theory of operation sans hand waving, maybe some photographs of a working prototype. You know... engineering sh!t, no smoke and mirrors. Or maybe someone could move this thread from General Electronics Discussion to the Twilight Zone.

LvW

Apr 12, 2014
It might be worth investigating what an oscillator actually is.

Here is one of the general definitions:
Oscillators are systems producing timing information without any external information.
An example of a simple mechanical oscillator is the pendulum clock

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Ive just got this crazy idea, where I was thinking an oscillator pretty much is a capacitor, in a loop with another capacitor (with a controlled voltage of course.), and back and forth it goes pinging off its transistors.

I was wondering, it seems like it would be a lot of work, but if u instead of using a feedback loop, you actually play out the twin state in a tree like fashion and u can get all the pulses down a linear array of wires at the output! There would be a million wires for a megahert. (thats a 1000x1000 fat fist wad of wires.) if you were charging it back and forth for a second, with a million pathways.
The cool thing, is youd know the hz of your oscillator just by looking at the pathways.

So its like a binary tree, and of every right node, it has a short to fill a slowdown capacitor, so every time it goes right, it waits a step, and every time it goes left, it gets it straight away.

If you didnt want to go crazy pearling out a megahert million wires, it still would be good for adding extra rotations that maybe your logic requires, if your osc has only 2 states to begin with, u can get more.

What kind of oscillator? Sine wave, square, pulse, what? There is plenty of material in textbooks and the internet to keep you busy studying.

Ratch

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
an oscillator pretty much is a capacitor, in a loop with another capacitor (with a controlled voltage of course.),
No, it isn't.
and back and forth it goes pinging off its transistors.
You are (very poorly) trying to describe a multivibrator circuit, but that is only one type of oscillator out of dozens.

"it goes ..." - What is "it"?

And, what is "pinging"?

ak

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
I think you guys actually understood what i said to some degree due to what you replied,
so ill keep my boasting to myself, whats the use of giving good ideas away. :)

Last edited:

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
You could use a long wire to delay a signal and feed it back to an input in an oscillator. Not sure that is what you are talking about though.

Bob

LvW

Apr 12, 2014
You could use a long wire to delay a signal and feed it back to an input in an oscillator. Not sure that is what you are talking about though.
Bob

Bob - do you think, such a device will oscillate?
I am afraid it will lock.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
WIth an inverting amplifier that's exactly the configuration of an oscillator. See the examples here and replace the lumped RC elements by distributed RC elements as in a long wire.