Connect with us

new home pcb method

Discussion in 'PCB Layout, Design and Manufacture' started by mincior, Aug 14, 2012.

1. mincior

mincior

Aug 14, 2012
    Hi everyone,

My name is Vicentiu Mincior and I’ve made this website http://electroni-city.com to share with you a new method of making printed circuit boards with conductive pathways as narrow as to 0.15 mm. Believe me, it is cheaper, faster and easier to perform than anything else you have seen or tried before. But even better, do not take my word for it. Take a look at what I have to say to you and let’s experience together the huge difference that using self adhesive foil, the print screen vinyl type or vinyl sticker, can make with your homemade pcb:

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Very cool, but I can't find any reference to the vinyl foil you use.

3. mincior

mincior

Aug 14, 2012
    There is in one picture: 'Oracal 640 permanent' but it can be white or transparent, too. Important things: It must resist at 170 gr. celsius least. You can buy a little amount of it, test it and if you succeed buy more.

4. mincior

mincior

Aug 14, 2012
    I've modified the page by adding some reference to that foil.

5. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    It appears that the smallest quantity I can purchase is 100 sheets at the cost of $260 :(

6. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Another small detail. You don't mention how you prepare the copper.

I'm also wondering if you see any problems with etching through the toner, especially in large areas of copper.

I am trying to use a 2400dpi laser printer which deposits a very thin layer of toner. I have had some success with traces down to 0.1mm, however it's the adhesion of the toner to the copper which causes the largest problems.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  7. mincior

mincior

Aug 14, 2012
    If you have a small piece of copper board you can try a simple rubber to clean it. For tiny conductive pathways and big board you must clean first with ethyl alcohol, then use a piece of very thin glass paper, then again ethyl alcohol (remove the dust) then wash it with dishwasher detergent.
    No problems with etching as long as your FeCl3 is not too old, or too cold. You can shake it time to time.
    With this method, the toner surface is glossy and there is no way for FeCl3 to arrive to copper through it.

Have a nice day.
    That price for 100 sheets is too much.

8. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    OK. The board I have is from a PCB manufacturer that went out of business. I have access to a *huge* supply of board (actually it was the offcuts I think). It's very old and oxidised. The best method I've come up with so far is to give it a quick dip into Ferric Chloride, then wash it in water. This removes all the surface oxide instantly. Somewhat amusingly, it also photo-sensitises the board.

yeah, I have a heated and agitated tank and good FeCl3 :) I think the tank runs at around 40C

It would be very interesting to take some macro photos of the board.

Only supplier I have found so far. :(

You don't want to send me a sample do you? :)

I've been playing with a 2400 dpi printer (as I said above). It has an issue with the toner melting at higher temperatures than normal (I think).

I see you're ironing this stuff. There is a way to do this more consistently. There is a heat sealer available at the moment for around $20 which can be simply modified to operate at the required temperature to melt toner.

Here are some of my experiments. As you can see, the toner is very porous.

Also, I didn't realise that this was the user contributed article section. Do you mind if I move the discussion to a different area so others can join in if they're interested? (I'll leave your original article in place)

9. mincior

mincior

Aug 14, 2012
    I'm from Romania.
    Where are you from?
    I can send you some sample of vinyl foil, if you accept ramburs mode. You only pay for postal costs. FeCl3 is very good for removing surface oxide. I'll try to make a macro picture of the toner after thermal transfer and send it to you by mail. My Xerox3117 printer has a max. resolution of 600dpi and it works very well with this method.
    You can move the discussion where ever you want as long as there is a reference to my site.

10. mincior

mincior

Aug 14, 2012
    I've seen some problems with large area of copper, after toner transfer. It can be corrected with a permanent (water resist) marker.

11. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Australia

I don't know what "ramburs mode" is. I can paypal you some amount to cover a sample and postage.

Yes, I have a feeling that 2400 dpi is a step too far, but I really want it to work :D

Yeah, I've left it ;-)

12. mincior

mincior

Aug 14, 2012
    Give me your exact postal name and address.

13. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    It's in a private message along with my email address. Until you have 10 posts I believe you won't be able to send private messages.

14. mincior

mincior

Aug 14, 2012
Ask a Question