Maker Pro
Maker Pro

New guy - need a block heater for Evinrude

loborph

Nov 14, 2013
Hello.

This is my first post and I would appreciate your help.

My goal is to build an engine block heater for my V-6 Evinrude outboard motor.

My problem is cold weather. With temps at 75deg F my motor starts without hesitation. Between 65deg and 55deg it needs starting fluid in the cylinders to fire. Below 55deg its a "no-go".

I just moved to northern Oregon.

The motor is a 3.3liter 250hp Evinrude Ficht (2nd gen) two-stroke. The cold really makes the starter system drag. It has a new battery (875mca), solenoid, and starter. The motor is computer controlled and needs the flywheel spinning at 800rpm+ to synch with the computer and fire the fuel injectors.

Temperature seems to be the issue.

I have 3 large marine batteries for a power source. One is a dedicated cranking motor.

My thought is to use these to heat the engine block using some of these
...PTC heating element 50W AC DC 12V Constant Temperature Ceramic Thermostatic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231021003897?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Maybe epoxy these to the aluminum engine block ... do I need to a power inverter to change from 12V DC to 110V AC? How do I step down to 12V AC?

Apologies for my ignorance, please reply as if you're speaking to a 2nd grader.

Product description and/or part numbers would be great.

An engine block heater is in lieu of a 15K new motor.

thanks in advance, Bob

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
You do not say if the engine is fueled by petrol or diesel.

If the compression is poor, a diesel will not start.

If temperature is the problem, then it is the fuel which needs to be heated, this will be difficult with the very large bulk of the aluminium block

The heaters you reference are AC/DC, in either words, they will work on either AC or DC so no need for a lot of fiddling.

iimagine

Oct 23, 2013
If temperature is the problem, then it is the fuel which needs to be heated, this will be difficult with the very large bulk of the aluminium block

This could be easier than it sound, Google 'fuel heater', you can buy one or build one yourself :D

loborph

Nov 14, 2013
You do not say if the engine is fueled by petrol or diesel.

If the compression is poor, a diesel will not start.

The heaters you reference are AC/DC, in either words, they will work on either AC or DC so no need for a lot of fiddling.

Sorry, motor is gasoline.
I just moved up from Arizona, so I only had problems in the one month of winter down there.

The motor runs perfectly once its running, and will start & run all day after I get it started. Its just the initial cold start that causes grief.

I do appreciate your input.

I don't think a fuel heater would be of much benefit. Until I get the flywheel spinning the on-board computer wont fire the injectors ,,, so the fuel is moving much.

Its a two-stroke motor so there is no engine oil to heat like you'd find in a four-stroke.

Thanks for the ideas!

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
To warm up that motor, if 120VAC is available at dock/garage; leave a 100W bulb on under the hood a couple of hours before starting, or all night.

iimagine

Oct 23, 2013
Buy a couple of those bad boys PTC then, just wire them directly to your battery. If they fail to do the job, you can always use them to warm your coffee :D

They arent expensive to try