Maker Pro
Maker Pro

New guy here and need some help on a NICAD battery

SteveMO

Mar 4, 2012
Hello, I am just a tinkerer and was trying to fix a NICAD rechargeable battery pack for a portable video player. I bought the sub C cells 1.2V and tried to rebuild the pack. While taking apart the old one, a component broke, that I didn't realize was a component until after the fact. What is this pictured and can you buy a replacement?

Attachments

• nicad.jpg
    nicad.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 214

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Hard to recongize.
Could it be it is not a component but simply a label? If you measure the resistance from the lower left battery through the unknown component to the upper battery, does it show anything more than a short circuit? I'd assume the latter because typically these batteries are connected by welded metal strips. You're probably safe just ignoring this component.

Harald

SteveMO

Mar 4, 2012
It looks like it is made of carbon. It actually split in two pieces and had a black carbon looking material on the inside between the two leads. I ignored it and just jumped a wire between the leads and it works, but the charge drains quickly. It has writing on it, WLD LR180, if that means anything.

siggy

Mar 3, 2012
No idea try the manufacturers website bottom of pdf...they might have retailers etc

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
It looks like a thermistor to me. Sort of an overheating protection. I would think you could bypass it as long as you keep an eye on the battery. Even if you knew what it was they sure made it next to impossible to remove.