Maker Pro
Maker Pro

New from Fathemistic Fantasy

LittlePebble10

Jul 2, 2018
It has been a while since I really committed to the study of electronics. I have been at it on and off when ever I get board with my art and writing. I also see it as a chance for a career that can pay for my other hobbies. Electronics was my first love because I enjoyed math and science as a child. When you put those together you get the essence of technology. The movement of valance electrons form the equations we know as ohms law.

I am on several other forums, so if you recognize the name its me. Say hello to me from a pm and let me know what forum. I have a lot of hobbies. I often ask people if they want a hobby. I have too many and its a great way to begin friendships. I am also on Face Book. I go by the same nickname, but out of respect I will keep my real name anonymous. Which brings me to my question I ask every community.

I am a Christian and I would like to know the rules concerning religion. I do not like to debate and most find it difficult due to my respect for rules. I love to express my religion in my art, writing, and possibly electronics. Although I mention concepts I do not have any intention to preach. To put it simply this is just a cultural thing. If there are rules I need to be aware of I will fallow them accordingly. I look forward to making new and rewarding friendships.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Hi @LittlePebble10 and welcome to Electronics Point

I am a Christian and I would like to know the rules concerning religion.

Generally speaking, if your topic of choice fits into one of the forum categories, go for it.

Having said that, I'd have to point you to the Off-Topic Member's Lounge for religion. Personally, I think most people find it about as welcome here as politics.

People here vary in their political as well as (presumably) religious beliefs. Most of us are more interested in each other's electronics knowledge. I don't recall a thread that started talking about religion or politics that ended particularly well.

edit: I'd read this post in the off-topic forum.

Last edited:

LittlePebble10

Jul 2, 2018
Personally, I think most people find it about as welcome here as politics.

I understand Steve and I appreciate the heads up. The only thing I want to do really is to make my profile and signature express my spirituality. A scripture would be my idea for a signature. Like I mentioned earlier I am not looking for debate or a place to preach. To be honest my reason for joining this forum is because I need help in figuring out what career I should get into and of course my DIY projects.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I am a Christian and I would like to know the rules concerning religion. I do not like to debate and most find it difficult due to my respect for rules. I love to express my religion in my art, writing, and possibly electronics. Although I mention concepts I do not have any intention to preach. To put it simply this is just a cultural thing. If there are rules I need to be aware of I will fallow them accordingly. I look forward to making new and rewarding friendships.

we tend to keep religious and political discussions suppressed as they too easily become inflamed with strong
comments / beliefs on either side of the fence

So please be welcome to discuss electronics, but keep religion out of it :)

regards
Dave

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I think it's also worth pointing out that this is very much an international forum. This is important for several reasons:
  1. In a lot of places around the world one's religious beliefs are considered a private matter and are not typically discussed in public. In this respect the US is a bit of an outlier (in respect to most "western" societies), so it may be unfamiliar to you.
  2. We have many members from places which have majority religions other than one of the numerous forms of Christianity.
  3. Even in places that do have a nominally Christian majority faith, their Christianity may be very different from your own ("witnessing", for example, can be confronting, controversial, or even considered hostile in many parts of the world).
I would honestly prefer you place a statement in your signature asserting that "a bjt transistor is controlled by base current" than any statement about a deity.

That statement about transistors is about as close as we get here to religion. Most of us avoid the discussion, even though the are solid facts which describe the physics (hint: it's not current). When the topic is raised, the moderators typically stand by because we too often have to jump in to break up the warring parties.

On another point. Your aim in joining is career related. I am involved in hiring people from time to time (not in the electronics industry though). I am specifically NOT allowed to discriminate on a number of factors, religious affiliation being one of them. Regardless of this, occasionally an applicant will feel that making their religious beliefs known to me will benefit them. At best, they are words which I must ignore. At worst, they indicate the applicant is unaware of the secular nature of many workplaces (in my country at least).

Having said that, I personally enjoy talking to people about their religion, my bookshelf has a collection of religious texts and academic works on religion, I very much enjoyed a short academic course on the life of Paul I took from a US University, and if others are up for it I'm very happy to debate their religious beliefs. However, I don't do it here :)

Last edited:

LittlePebble10

Jul 2, 2018
Steve with all to do with respect I do not intend on creating a debate especially because I am new. I have noticed that some people here have the American flag in their avatar. I also noticed that many have quotes as their signature. I was told from the beginning that there are no rules over religion, so long as the conversation stays on topic. (Electronics and DIY projects)

On another note. The very basic concept of my religion is that I am to never ignore curiosity. Although it may be rare, if some one asks a question about my religion I will answer in some way. A private message perhaps or an outside email of the forum. You may call this the "Prime Directive" of my beliefs.

Lastly as far as my expression of my religion is concerned I only want to be able to have scripture present on my profile and my signature. If there are no rules against quoting the Bible and or showing a picture of the American Flag then I don't see the problem. Steve I respect your position as a moderator of this forum. I have no intention on disrespecting you. I just want a clear explanation if there is a rule being broken. Thanks

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
If there are no rules against quoting the Bible and or showing a picture of the American Flag then I don't see the problem.

posting religious scripture is inviting controversy ....

The Flag in the Avatar, is automatically generated by the forum software when a person specifies their country in their profile
We encourage people to put their country into their profile ... it helps with things like
language problems; suggesting where to buy parts; what mains power system they have etc

yours shows the USA flag. mine Australian, Haralds - German etc

there's a huge difference between that and you purposely posting scripture
I, also am an active Christian ...... but I keep that far away from the forum
Till I just posted that sentence .... most people wouldn't have even known

For the final time, PLEASE keep ANY reference to ANY religion out of your posts, signatures etc, in the main part of the forum
The only place it would be allowed would be in comical form in the jokes section and done in good taste

regards
Dave

Last edited:

LittlePebble10

Jul 2, 2018
I will respect your decision Davenn. Even though I don't agree I find it important to maintain order. Unlike some social media places.