Connect with us

New circuit for a beginner

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by hoganc, Oct 16, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. hoganc

hoganc

Oct 16, 2011
    Hi there,

I would like to create a small gadget for my desk in work? However, I have no idea where to start. Running from some batteries, I want a some leds to light up the more I turn a dial and then every fifth led I want a bell to ring. on the final led I want a pre-recorded sound to play. Ideally I would like each led to light up on its own.

I have no idea what components I will need or if this is even possible, I have a picture in my head as to what it should look like, attached. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks
    Conan

Attached Files:

2. davelectronic

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
    Hi hoganc.
    Is this a bordem thing, oh i get pictures in my head to, think its the pills i am on,
    Sorry forgive me, i was joking.

Anyway led's that light up, as they do and bells, not looked at the file attachment yet, probably best if a bells and whistle member looks into it for you, i mean bells and led's.
    Not really my field, but welcome to the forum.
    Dave. :)
    PS, If i come up with any ideas after looking at your attached file, then i will get back to you.
    Hope another member can help. :)

3. hoganc

hoganc

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks Dave,
    Yeah I know a bit random but a bit of fun and a challenge I accepted at work. Glutton!
    Anyway did you see the pic? That may explain the bells and LEDs
    If I connect it up what are the required components except for 25 LEDs and a pot?
    C

4. davelectronic

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
    Led s and bells

Yes i did have a look, not sure on how to go about it, as you want the led's to light, then the alarm and then a pre recorded message, its going to be a control circuit, as for the primary IC as i say not sure myself, i build a lot of psu stuff, and modding other items for use beyond there intended purpose, i dont do much in the way of timing circuits or programing controlers, there are members out there much more clued up on these type of circuits.
    Dave.

5. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    This would be easy with a microcontroller. Not so easy otherwise.

Bob

6. hoganc

hoganc

Oct 16, 2011
    Micro controller?

Can you advise on a micro controller and how I'd connect it?
    Thanks

7. Windadct

Windadct

May 25, 2011
    Defcon Microcontroller

Hello Hogan - Lately I have been using Arduino boards - available from SparkFun

- What you are looking at would need 25 Digital Output just for the LEDs (Unless you use a demultiplexer - which would make it more complex.) , then an output for the Bell (could start with a tone or siren direct out from the microcontroler) and then the Input ( at least 2 Digital input) for your rotary switch. So ~ 30 Digital I/O

If you get a Microcontorller board with enough I/O you can just program it. As you will see the I/O is a major cost driver for the micro controller overall.

Cheers
    Paul

8. hoganc

hoganc

Oct 16, 2011
    Arduino board

Hi there,

Thanks for the assistance, much appreciated. :)

Ask a Question