Connect with us

New Bluetooth Project, NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'Radio and Wireless' started by Montythenondog, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Montythenondog

Montythenondog

Sep 11, 2014
    Im very new to electronics and I'm trying to put together a battery powered bluetooth 4.0 peripheral device. It needs to all fit inside a 30mm diameter hole. I want the device to 'Sleep' until motion activated, then connect to the smartphone/tablet. Once active it must tell the smartphone whether it is in position A,B,C or D (these are 90 degree rotations around a common axis). It must also communicate if it changes position and what its new position is.

Does any item already exist like this, and if not how could I build it and what would I need?

Many thanks,

Monty

2. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun So long, and Thanks for all the Fish!

Aug 27, 2013
    Hey Monty, welcome to EP!

I think you might be in "over your head'. It sounds like what you are looking for is a solution, not a project....Bluetooth 4.0 is a "standard" communications protocol....from the "standard's point-of-view" it is your project's responsibility to comply with the standard...The Standard is not defined to simplify the design process..... .think of "bluetooth" like a building code...the building code is not going to "help you design your building", it is simply going to require that your building meets specific requirements....how you meet those requirements, what the building looks like, the materials from which it is constructed are all well beyond the scope of the building code.....the building code is simply there to ensure the structural integrity meets or exceeds minimum standards.....So in your case, I think what you want is a device that will interface with other Bluetooth devices to report some sensor function....Your reasoning is that "Bluetooth" devices are "universal and easy to use"....counter intuitively this can also makes them very difficult to "design"....a typical Bluetooth implementation will require in-depth knowledge in multiple disciplines and typically requires a fairly robust design effort...there are "tools" to simplify the process, but all of these tools still require you to have a firm foundation in 1) The Bluetooth standard 2) General knowledge about Embedded Programming and potentially "Script Programming" 3) The Processing Platform from which the implementation will be realized 4) Enough electronic knowledge to interface the sensor in question with the processing platform used in the implementation of the Bluetooth standard. In general it is far easier to take a "generic device" and use "scripts"/software to bludgeon your way through to your goal.

I have NEVER even investigated a Bluetooth implementation, but a quick Google search found this: http://www.microchip.com/Developmenttools/ProductDetails.aspx?PartNO=RN-42-HID-RD1 it is one of many such products offered by various MFGs as a "tool to help prototype a Bluetooth project"....but you need to understand this type of rapid development platform will likely require hundreds of hours of study before you will have enough base knowledge to do anything more than run the "canned software" it comes with.....and even that might prove challenging....so don't think I am suggesting the above link is any kind of "easy solution" to your project, it is merely one ad hoc representative of what is available. There may be 10,000 really cheap/easy ways to achieve your goal(s) using existing products, but you have not given much in the way of insight into exactly what you are trying to achieve....finding a four-position switch that will fit in a 30mm hole will NOT be difficult....making some event occur on a secondary processing platform via Bluetooth based on the state of that switch may prove to be quite a task....

Anyway, Good Luck with your project! If you want to share more project details, perhaps others with some experience in various Bluetooth prototyping tools/products might be able to make helpful suggestions. My only **warning** would be that this type of project typically has "mine fields of time sucking vortexes" scattered all about, frequently adjacent to "money sucking vortexes" and there is rarely an "easy button" to be found..... "Customer Support" is typically found in PDF format ;-)

Fish

Ask a Question