Maker Pro
Maker Pro

New apartment getting shocked on light switch screws.

Keithaaland

Apr 11, 2017
Hello everyone. I just moved into a new apartment two days ago. I viewed the apartment six days ago and when I viewed the apartment I turned lights on and touched metal latches and never got shocked.

I moved in two days ago and Now im getting shocked on the light switches and metal latches. My main concern is he light switch screws. I'm getting zapped the hardest on the light switch screws.

I brought the problem up to management and they brought in an electrician who said nothing was wrong and that it was static. A lot of static. They gave me a small humidifier. It seems to work here and there but I'm still getting large shocks half the time from the light switch screws. I can see the shocks inbetween my finger and the screw.

Does anybody know what I'm dealing with here? Is this just static electricity? It just doesn't seem like my efforts to put moisture in the apartment are doing any good. I'm boiling water and using a humidifier.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
If you can see a small spark from your finger, It does point to static charge.
You could take a switch plate off and see if there is an earth ground conductor, but I am guessing the electrician would have checked that.
If there is a good ground on the switch, then the source is coming from you and not the supply.
M.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I experienced a similar problem years ago. My fix may not be what you wanted to hear.
The combination of my socks on the type of carpeting caused a large static build-up and I too was zapped
when I touched the (grounded) light-switch plate (they were metal back then, just your screws are now).
I tried different footwear. Inconvenient, I know. Like your apt mgr, the only option you might be able to
live with is a humidifier. (Or to develop a less 'electrifying' personality)

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Cold air (winter) contains much less humidity than warm air. Your shoes or slippers on carpet or your clothing develops static electricity and it builds up if the shoes, slippers or air does not conduct it away. Anti-static carpets are available.

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
As I remember, static electricity is not an electronic genius' friend. It is different from any other electricity in the fact that it builds up naturally in/on/around the human body, and must be released to get rid of. I hate to say this. If you slow down, and dedicate your contacts with the world around you to good solid contact, rather than brushes and flips, you might find the static less of a nuisance. Just because a place is dry and warm does not mean it is good for you. You are mostly water, and a dry environment can be hard on the lungs. Try some experiments with changes in plastic container types. If you wear flourescent plastic pants when home, see if you can dress less electrically...
right now Early April.... there is static electricity everywhere... I have a long fan chain in the living room that gets me every time I walk passed it. They used to sell an anti static spray at the supermarket. try it.

sundy

Aug 5, 2016
Put a 120KΩ resistor under the screw and touch it before flipping the switch.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
I think the thousands of volts from static electricity will easily arc over a resistor or tape rated for only hundreds of volts and ZAP you.

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
You can tell the difference between getting hit with wall voltage and static. I think the best way to find out is to touch it and keep your finger on there. If it's a quick zap that feels like a flick to the finger then it's static. But if shock continues and feels kind of like when your foot falls asleep then it's house power.

Irv

Jun 7, 2017
Our office had carpeting that generated high voltages in anyone who walked on it. I found the solution was to carry a key, and use that to touch switches, door handles, etc. Won't feel the discharge.

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
Our office had carpeting that generated high voltages in anyone who walked on it. I found the solution was to carry a key, and use that to touch switches, door handles, etc. Won't feel the discharge.

What Irv said^^. I do that when my house gets especially staticy; but if the zap is robust enough, I still feel it through the key/coin/paperclip/whatever, but not nearly as bad. Fortunately, we don't get enough dry time for it to be a chronic problem. Next dry spell we have, I'll have to try that 120KΩ resistor and see how it works.

If it were a constant problem here, I would look into finding nylon screws that fit.

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
Simple non-component trick, tried when car's door-handle would zap me in dry winter air:
Close hand into fist rather than 'pointy' finger.
Touch object with flat face of upper fingers first, or just punch the switch.
Static may still arc, but feels less severe, then after discharge should be neutralized.
Not sure why this works - think wider skin area "spreads" the potential.

Cannonball

May 6, 2017
Hello everyone.
To find out if it is static or ac electricity, when you enter the room touch something metal that is not conected to anything else. A doorknob. If this shocks you, then it is static electricity. If it doesn't, call that electrician back. I hope this helps.