Maker Pro
Maker Pro

network switch in networking ?

vead

Nov 27, 2011
Hello
what is use of switch in computer networking. I think Ethernet cable is use to connect two PCs and network switch connect two or more PCs so that they can access each other.
network switch.jpg
I think PC0 and PC1 can not share file with other PCs because they are not connected with switch

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hello
what is use of switch in computer networking. I think Ethernet cable is use to connect two PCs and network switch connect two or more PCs so that they can access each other.
View attachment 32451
I think PC0 and PC1 can not share file with other PCs because they are not connected with switch

all that is true

mal007

Jul 8, 2011
I think you've answered your own question.
However, to add to your knowledgebase, the network cable between two PCs, is known as a a crossover cable!

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
all switches use normal cables. Crossover cables can not be used with an ethernet switch unless it has a cable selector switch.

Also i think crosstalk cables are also called null.

Wilksey

Mar 3, 2010
Actually, a cross over network cable is not a "null" per se, you are referring to a serial cable, the cross over has the TX+/- and RX+/- pairs crossed. Also, a switch will allow you to use cross overs if it supports Auto-MDIX (Automatic Medium Dependant Interface Crossover), most do these days, or most decent ones do I should say rather.

A single cable (cross over) between 2 stand alone PC's will create a point to point connection, a cable into a switch will create a multi-point connection.

I tend to think of 2 machines connected via cable, a direct connection, or point to point, a machine connected to a switch, which goes on to a gateway and / or many other machines is a "network".