Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Network Signal Strength

Orzamil

Feb 6, 2013
I've been having problems with the wiring in my building (apartment, I'm a tenant) resulting in low quality of signal (e.g., low power, too much noise, etc.) to my modem. My ISP has said several times that there's nothing they can do about it and the owners refuse to fix it, so I'll be moving out once my contract is up. I don't want to repeat all of the frustration I've experienced trying to get a stable internet connection, and wish to know if an apartment has a stable/good signal.

Is there a way for me to test the signal strength of a coax outlet without buying a $1000 digital meter?

I've looked around, lowest meter I could find was $200. If I have to, I'll shell out for it, but I would really rather avoid doing so. Can I do something like hook up a satellite signal finder/meter between the cable and modem and see what happens? Is there an easy way to do it with a multimeter (all the things I've seen for multimeter was testing lengths of cable instead of checking an outlet)?

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
unfortunately unless you have a satellite dish and a known direction of where to place and aim it that would not work right, satellite companies have a set signal that those meters pick up on, as far as I understand it anyways.

what I would recommend is talk to the potential new landlord and ask them to have the house wiring evaluated first by whoever their cable/internet provider is and give it the ok for where you would be living, that would be the easiest and cheapest for you.

You can try measuring AC voltage out of the coax but that won't necessarily tell you anything depending on the multimeter