Connect with us

neon transformer

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by default, Nov 11, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. default

    default Guest

    There's a cold cathode fluorescent lamp supply about the size of a
    pencil but that is for ~1 watt.

    There are high frequency high voltage supplies used for neon tubes
    that aren't, strictly speaking, transformers. They are small and
    light but not the size of a pencil.

    I think you are probably mistaken about the size - the 12 KV wire used
    is about the size of a pencil.
  2. Some time ago I saw an advertisement, or thought that I did, for a neon
    transformer, a high voltage transformer about half the size of a pencil. Do
    these things exist and where might they be found? Google offers no help.

  3. Phil Allison

    Phil Allison Guest

    "Roger Dewhurst"

    ** So this " neon" transformer was about 60mm long & 8 mm in diameter -
    right ??

    Go pull the other one - wanker.

    ....... Phil
  4. Rude bastard are you not?

  5. Phil Allison

    Phil Allison Guest

    "Roger Dopehurst"

    ** **** off - you pathetic HALF WITT !!!

    ........ Phil
  6. As long as being a crass, rude, uneducated **** makes you happy, I suppose
    all is well.

  7. Perhaps that is the thing. Is it a step-up transformer?


    How small? My recollection is of a small black cylinder with four wires
    coming out of it.

  8. default

    default Guest

    Small circuit board with an inverter similar to the things used to
    charge photo flash caps on cameras. has a
    picture - quite large actually about 2-3/8" X 7/8" X 5/8" Picture of a
    cold cathode lamp
    lamps and supplies

    I do remember seeing one power supply in a catalog that was quite a
    bit smaller and long and narrow. But it too was a bare circuit board
    not a cylindrical device - and not in the current issue of my Jameco

    Electro luminescent "Wires" work on similar type supplies >90V high
    frequency and low current.

    Cold Cathode lamps are cylindrical and long like a pencil from about
    3/16" diameter to 3/8" and 4" long to >12" long - wire on either end
    Nope. Rectangular (the only ones I've seen) More like the size of an
    duplex receptacle box with wires the size of pencils coming out of it.

    These things work at an open circuit voltage of 12,000 volts at 100
    KHZ - for that voltage and frequency you need a fairly thick
    dielectric to prevent corona losses even if the dielectric doesn't
    break down - so thick wire insulation, sturdy enclosures and potting
    compound is the norm.

    Don't know what else to offer. Search on power supplies for cold
    cathode fluorescent lamps, electro luminescent wires, or solid state
    neon tube drivers. All similar types of HV supplies.

    In the case of neon tubes the things have to be able to drive ~300 +
    watts at high voltage and frequency - can't be but so small . . .
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day