Connect with us

Need your guys help bad

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by foamslayer20, Jun 17, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. foamslayer20

foamslayer20

May 22, 2012
    I need some help here. I have this chronograph that the printer isn't working properly.All of the functions it does work fine except for printing. It used to work as seen by the photo of the print out. The pic on the left is what it should look like and the pic on the right is what it is doing. What it is doing now is starting to print then it stops. It runs off of a 9 volt battery or a wall power unit. I have a new 9 volt battery in it. Should i be using a heavy duty battery? I just have a cheap dollar store one in it. I have included some pics of the inside hoping that can help you guys.

Attached Files:

2. foamslayer20

foamslayer20

May 22, 2012
    Anybody?

3. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Is the thermal paper fresh? Try a fresh battery... If it still doesn't print it's likely the thermal printing head simply not getting hot, aka it's broken...

4. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    Does it exhibit the same symptoms when powered by the wall wart?

5. foamslayer20

foamslayer20

May 22, 2012
    The paper is older. I put a brand new 9v cheap battery in it. If you look at the pics you can see where it starts to print. Do you think the battery isn't powerfull enough?

6. foamslayer20

foamslayer20

May 22, 2012
    Don't know I am waiting on one. It has a 9v battery port on the bottom so I figured that was all it needed.

7. foamslayer20

foamslayer20

May 22, 2012
    Is that something that can be fixed?

8. foamslayer20

foamslayer20

May 22, 2012
    Where do you get thermal paper?

9. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    I'm sure it can be replaced... I have no clue if it's a proprietary print head or some generic one, you would have to identify it and do some leg work if it is in fact broken...

Just about any office supply store will carry it since it's the norm in most point of sale machines aka cash registers... Or you can hit up Ebay, there is a plethora of it up there... Just mind the width and roll size and make sure it will fit in your device...

10. foamslayer20

foamslayer20

May 22, 2012
    Thanks CocaCola. Do you think the battery is powerfull enough to do all the functions? Printing,paper advance,display and memory?

11. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    If it's designed to run on a battery, yes I suspect they designed it to actually function as well while using a battery... As has been said try a fresh battery and since you mentioned you got a dollar store one, may I suggest a name brand alkaline vs the likely so called "heavy duty" zinc-carbon that dollar stores carry that are an inferior battery overall...

12. foamslayer20

foamslayer20

May 22, 2012
    Ok cause it has a battery connection and a 120v port for a wall adapter also.

13. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    As do many devices... See if you can locate the owners manual or other information online about it...

14. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    just a real crazy out there comment....

you do realise thermal paper usually only prints on one side ?
    can you trust that the thermal paper you got is OK ? that its in the printer the right way around so the correct side faces the printhead.

Even I have been caught out with that in the past

Dave

15. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    I doubt that the device is intended to operate from a puny 9V battery. Thermal printing takes a lot of power and the feed motor, display and electronics add to the load. The battery is probably only there to keep the clock accurate and preserve the data in memory during power interruptions. Maybe the unit will work normally when you connect it to some real power.

It's easy to test the relative quality and condition of thermal paper with a quick swipe of a hot soldering iron.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
Ask a Question