Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need to replace grinder switch

packetsmacker

Jul 21, 2011
I am a very handy diy type of guy. I don't know much about the electronics. I am a complete noob with the electronic. I might not even be in the right place for this question but I can't seem to find what i need with google.

I need to change a switch on my cheap grinder. The switch is fine and it works the problem is it uses this piece of plastic that runs up the inside of the grinder body to the top where the button is at. It has worn out so it flexes so much it doesn't press the switch anymore. If you do get it on it's sorta dangerous to use IMO. I was going to replace the switch with a toggle type and have it just stick out of the back of the grinder. I don't even know where to start to find a switch. I know its not going to just fit right in but thats part of the fun is making fit in there. Can i just take the old switch to a radio shack and get them to give me a toggle switch?

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure we'll be able to help you figure out what switch to get, at least with the electrical specs. I'd recommend replacing the switch with a good quality toggle switch. The key task is to identify the power rating needed for the switch and replacing it with one of equal or larger rating.

If you can, take a clear photo of the motor's nameplate and post that. Also post a picture of the switch's mounting.

awright

Oct 10, 2009
If the switch itself functions fine but the actuator rod flexes too much due to wear or age, wouldn't it be a safer and tidier to strengthen the operating rod or install a guide tube to inhibit flexing? Is there space available for such a fix? Can you include photos of the operating rod problem in your photos?

awright

packetsmacker

Jul 21, 2011
sorry for the delay i have been covered up at work.

I resized the pics to meet the size requirement but I am not sure if they will be big enough

Awrigth,
I didn't think about making the actuator rod strong. you can see it in the pics its red.

thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_0546.JPG
    IMG_0546.JPG
    6.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0545.JPG
    IMG_0545.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0544.JPG
    IMG_0544.JPG
    7.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0542.JPG
    IMG_0542.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0543.JPG
    IMG_0543.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 162

TBennettcc

Dec 4, 2010
With something like this, you're probably better off posting high-quality pics to a site like Flickr or PhotoBucket, and then posting links to the album here.

TBennettcc

Dec 4, 2010
Especially considering the focal length of the camera you're using, some more 'far out' shots would be good as well, especially if you could do a sort of 'exploded parts' diagram, and try to show how everything fits together and lines up. Maybe place the outer housing apart but in-line, as if you were about to slide it on. That might help to get some perspective on just where everything is in relation to everything else...

I have a feeling a regular toggle switch would probably be fine. It would be a matter of finding a safe place to put it on the housing, and finding enough room inside to wire it up.