Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need to power 5 pc of 160 led lights

eski

Feb 24, 2012
Hello

I bought 5 pieces of this lights.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/9-6w-1...ree-filters-for-panasonic-cgr-d16s-more-42304

Good lights but one problem, they don't have a DC input to have it constantly on.
So I have altered all the lights so I can plug them all into a box and from that box I would like to connect to a 220v.

So my problem is that I need a big adapter to run them all in one.I have measured the current of the light and it is about 1200mah each at full power. So basically it is 5 x 1200mah that I need right ?

I was thinking about using a PSU from a PC, using the 12v line and lower it to 8v or so. They recommend DC7.2-8.4V for the light. The question is, how would I go by doing that, should I make a regulator for this, if so. Any idea on schematics for it ?

Any other way of doing it ?

Best thanks.
eski

Ps. It would be a bad idea to run the lights at 12v right ?

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Good lights but one problem, they don't have a DC input to have it constantly on.

It has batteries? Then just wire a DC voltage to the battery inputs and it should work. If you want to run them all off of VAC, then you will need a very basic linear power supply. Plenty of results on google.

eski

Feb 24, 2012
Since it is gonna be hard finding a voltage regulator that will output ~6A, I would recommend buy 1 VR for each light. Then build a suitable linear PSU or use a computer PSU. http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/L7885CV/1026-L7885CV-CHP/2521513
These are good up to 1.5A and dirt cheap right now. 10 for a dollar

Ok, sounds good. But just to be safe because I'm still a noob in electronics like this.
Will I need anything else for the circuit, or is it just 12v to that VR (which stands for?) and from there to the light ?

Thanks for the help btw :)

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Ok, sounds good. But just to be safe because I'm still a noob in electronics like this.
Will I need anything else for the circuit, or is it just 12v to that VR (which stands for?) and from there to the light ?

Thanks for the help btw :)

There is a circuit in the datasheet for the Voltage Regulator I linked to. You should probably make that circuit for each light. Of course you can always use another VR and then you should consult the appropriate datasheet for the circuit.