Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need to know what kinda device I need.

robin9000

Oct 29, 2010
Problem: My camera eats batteries and I would like to use it out doors in the wild.

I found a adapter I plug into my cammera and a normal outlet.

What I would like to know is if I bring a car battery of 12Volts along with me, is there anyway for me to set somthing up where I can plug my adapter into somthing using the power from this larger battery sorce.

What would I need? Thanks for any help.

LTX71CM

May 23, 2010
To do what you want, as described, you need the 12V battery and a power inverter. You can probably get away with a fairly small one. Wal-Mart has them for cheap (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bravo-View-150-Watt-Lighter-Inverter/9729856).

I would also consider using the 12V battery with a DC voltage regulator to power the camera directly, the losses in the inverter approach might be undesired.

Edit: To be clear, there are losses in the DC regulator approach also but depending on the power demands of the camera they could be substantially lower.

Last edited:

robin9000

Oct 29, 2010
To do what you want, as described, you need the 12V battery and a power inverter. You can probably get away with a fairly small one. Wal-Mart has them for cheap (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bravo-View-150-Watt-Lighter-Inverter/9729856).

I would also consider using the 12V battery with a DC voltage regulator to power the camera directly, the losses in the inverter approach might be undesired.

Edit: To be clear, there are losses in the DC regulator approach also but depending on the power demands of the camera they could be substantially lower.

What I acturally need is 3 volts of power. I need to go from 12 volts to 3 volts and have not been able to find any inverter to be able to do that with. The other real issue is the adapter for the cammera would normally plug into a house hold wall outlet thus creating a big problem. Can't seem to find any inverter or such to solve this problem.

Any solutions are much appreshiated.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
So the camera has no external power inlet contacts, and you intend to replace the battery with a dummy adapter and lead power into that? We could use specific data.
If my guess is right, how about just using a bigger lithium battery (1-cell)? Easier to adapt and much lighter to carry.
Otherwise 12V to 5V (USB) car adapters exists, and most of them can surely be modified to give 3 or 4 Volts.

robin9000

Oct 29, 2010
So the camera has no external power inlet contacts, and you intend to replace the battery with a dummy adapter and lead power into that? We could use specific data.
If my guess is right, how about just using a bigger lithium battery (1-cell)? Easier to adapt and much lighter to carry.
Otherwise 12V to 5V (USB) car adapters exists, and most of them can surely be modified to give 3 or 4 Volts.

Ok here is an idea can I take one of those inverters you plug into the car and cut the part that plugs into the lighter off and attach it directly to my 12V car battery. If so that would work.