Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need to identify unknown component

smartyhands

Jun 23, 2011
1024x1024-1808532.jpg

This component is on a control board for a touch-activated 3-step lamp dimmer. Dimming is done by the triac on the left (which I did google to identify as per steve's suggestions)... anyway, I am trying to figure this circuit out as a little exercise for myself... but I have never seen this component before.

First of all, there are NO numbers, letters, or markings on the component, or any hints on the board like the rest of the parts. It has eight leads, four on each side which appear to connect internally behind some blob of black stuff (which may be hiding the actual component?). The fifth lead (counting from the left in the picture) is not connected to anything.

Thanks for any help.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
It's not 'a' component, it's a microcircuit for the dimmer. Probably not too complex,
just something the manufacturer had made in quantity, to work their circuit.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
yeah they call them hybrid modules, they can be basic from just a few components to quite complex multi transistors, IC's, resistors and caps etc.
with no markings on it you are not likely to source it or figure out what it does.

the manufacturer may supply info, but probably an inhouse "secret" to stop others copying their design.

Dave

smartyhands

Jun 23, 2011
Just wanted to say thanks for the help, got the wife's permission to dig the thing out... I can feel a single component under the blob, but... eight leads. Could be an IC...

On the off-hand, this is a small simple circuit for a three-way dimmer lamp. There is one triac, a few resistors, caps, and diodes. Apparently we broke something attempting to use a compact flouro bulb. The lamp functions normally, except for the dimming. There are still three settings (aside from off), but they all have the same output.

Any clues where to look? (I have to repair my cheapo VOM before I can really test it, we have another one that is fully functional so I can take readings off it... )

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
If a CFL broke it, it's most likely the triac being shorted. If you haven't tested it being ok yet I'd just replace it if the off function is a mecanical switch.

smartyhands

Jun 23, 2011
The dimming function is touch-activated, I presume it drains the capacitors or something. There is no mechanical switch, the circuit is connected to the lamp chassis directly.

I'm assuming that, since the lamp works (the dimming settings don't work), that the triac works. Instead of dim-bright-brighter-off, I have dim-dim-dim-off. I suspect that one of the capacitors or one of the diodes is bad... Will be fixing the VOM this weekend hopefully so I can trace down the bad component.

Could the hybrid mystery component be some kind of voltage step down? I can't even think of what component would do that. Whatever is under that little black bump, it's the smallest component on the board.

Any help is appreciated.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Since you get nothing more than a dim light then one half of the triac may be bad. Think of it as consisting of two SCR's.
The hybrid IC is a dedicated special function (custom made) IC. It senses the touch plate noise voltage and does the dimming by means of internal timing.
There are (ordinary) IC's with similar touch dimming functions available on the market, but try to replace the triac first.
It would take the direct hit of trying to charge the CFL capacitor in a few microseconds. There's no reason a capacitor or the IC dimming function should fail with a CFL installed.
The diodes will be easy enough to check when you get the VOM fixed.

Attachments

• 1006x642-1808532.jpg
    1006x642-1808532.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 488

rann

Aug 18, 2011
hybrid modules ????
i want to ask about it
is it sort of (ziped) ic made like that to reduce costs
and if i can get any link about it because i am working on some uv device and it well be cheaper if i used it

smartyhands

Jun 23, 2011
All right, so I'm looking to replace this triac. I found all kinds of data online, but... one place I went to buy it, the smallest quantity available was 5000.

If it matters, it is a BT134-600E... 600 volts seems kinda high for house voltage, but... then again, I may have ruined it with a light bulb, so...

Any good recommendations for small quantity purchases? Online or otherwise?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You should look here. The part seems very widely available and at low cost.

Zmazing

Dec 13, 2012
can any one tell me what the value of the resistor near the top of the triac and near the white wire is because the one in my lamp burned to a crisp and no longer has any visible colors