Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need to get MG Electronics Power Supply repaired or NOT !?

ElecTedII

Sep 20, 2012
Hi.
I just bought a lot of Slot Car stuff, yes those cars that go around a track. The guy was serious about his hobby he didn't have the usual wall plug in power pack, he used a MG Electronics PS-10AD, 0-20 VDC at 10 Amps. Well this power supply doesn't work anymore. It does turn on and the red overload light stays on. It doesn't put out anything. I used my multimeter etc., nothing. I know that these are made overseas . They did retail for about $200. So the questions is were can I get it repaired OR should I ? I'm in Western MAss.
I did check the fuse , it's fine. I've got a heavy door stop on my hands, it does have a nice handle and cord on it !
Many thanks for info, Ted

http://www.mgelectronics.com/shopexd.asp?id=179

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hi.
I just bought a lot of Slot Car stuff, yes those cars that go around a track. The guy was serious about his hobby he didn't have the usual wall plug in power pack, he used a MG Electronics PS-10AD, 0-20 VDC at 10 Amps. Well this power supply doesn't work anymore. It does turn on and the red overload light stays on. It doesn't put out anything. I used my multimeter etc., nothing. I know that these are made overseas . They did retail for about $200. So the questions is were can I get it repaired OR should I ? I'm in Western MAss.
I did check the fuse , it's fine. I've got a heavy door stop on my hands, it does have a nice handle and cord on it !
Many thanks for info, Ted

http://www.mgelectronics.com/shopexd.asp?id=179
This is your call.
You can repair it, buy another model, or buy/build an alternative supply.
What are your requirements?

10A capacity, adjustable from 0-20VDC?

If you want to repair the power supply, please keep in mind that there will be capacitors inside that will pack a whollup! Touching the wrong part could hurt, even with the unit unplugged. If you plan to pay for the repair, please note that bench fees can easily reach $80+... so if the tech takes any more than a couple hours on it, you might as well buy another one.