Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need some help with a simple circuit

bwoogie

Jun 5, 2012
I've never made my own circuit before, but I have followed other schematics and built small boards so I'm not completely lost, but have a very limited understanding of how electronics actually work.

With the 4th of july coming up I'm building a fireworks igniter. Simple enough. An On/Off switch and LED, 8 push buttons each with an LED and 8 terminals. Connected to the terminals are nicrome wires for the ignition.

I'm able to ignite the wire but was having problems with the LED's not lighting up. So I rewired one of the push buttons and it was working until i wired up the second push button now neither of them work. So here is my schematic.. Will this work? I might just have a loose wire somewhere.

attachment.php

Attachments

• fireworks.png
    fireworks.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 926

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
The circuit looks workable. I don't know where the problem is but the LED's are probably getting an inductive kick after the fuse wire burns open wiping them out. You might try use incondescent bulbs instead.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi Bwoogie
welcome to the forums

The LED's will never light as it stands as they never get any current
When the push button switch is closed the current takes the lowest path of resistance which is via the terminals to the right, through the nicrome wire and second set of terminals to the negative rail

therefore the LED in that circuit wont get any current.

cheers
Dave

bwoogie

Jun 5, 2012
Hi Bwoogie
welcome to the forums

When the push button switch is closed the current takes the lowest path of resistance which is via the terminals to the right, through the nicrome wire and second set of terminals to the negative rail

cheers
Dave

Ok, to test that I unplugged the wire from terminal 1 and the LED did light up! Like I said I know next to nothing about electronics. I figured the current will just flow through anywhere it was allowed.

So, what do i need to change in order to fix this?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Given your current findings it appears that the load the ignitor places on the battery is so large the voltage drops below the LED voltage.

A bigger battery is one solution.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Hi Bwoogie
welcome to the forums

Even if that was the case they should get their full compliment of current immediately after the electronic match burns and breaks that alternate path... That is assuming the loops on the far right of the diagram represent the matches, see attached slightly modified (4 e-matches depicted) as to what I believe is a better representation of the circuit?

Attachments

• ematch.jpg
    ematch.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 239

bwoogie

Jun 5, 2012
Even if that was the case they should get their full compliment of current immediately after the electronic match burns and breaks that alternate path... That is assuming the loops on the far right of the diagram represent the matches, see attached slightly modified (4 e-matches depicted) as to what I believe is a better representation of the circuit?

Correct.

Also, do i have my resistors in the correct place? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_circuit show's on the cathode while I have mine on the anode.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009

they are not electronic matches
they are pieces of nicrome wire, they will just get hot without fusing

Dave

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
they are not electronic matches
they are pieces of nicrome wire, they will just get hot without fusing

And if that is the case there could very well be an issue...

But, you can easily reverse the logic by simply moving the switch location...

Light on in standby and light off when igniting...

Attachments

• ematch2.jpg
    ematch2.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
And if that is the cas there could very well be an issue...

yup :) hence my original post .... the LED's will never see any current

dang been watching the transit of Venus across the sun today
its been a bit of a trying exercise with sun at times, cloudy and some times rain

but managed to get some pics ... will put in the other off topic part of the forum later

Dave

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
edited my previous post in regards to reversing the logic by simply moving the switch...

bwoogie

Jun 5, 2012
And if that is the case there could very well be an issue...

But, you can easily reverse the logic by simply moving the switch location...

Light on in standby and light off when igniting...

I like that idea. I will try it out when i get a chance.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Glad to hear it works, you can still get it to work the other way if you want, my suggestion of reversing the logic was just trying to keep it as simple as possible and still get a visual indicator...

bwoogie

Jun 5, 2012
and here is a video of it working. it's daylight out so its kinda hard to see the LEDs but trust me they're working! :)