Connect with us

Need some help to ID what this component is

Discussion in 'Datasheets, Manuals and Component Identification' started by leeadamaa, Aug 6, 2012.

1. leeadamaa

leeadamaa

Aug 6, 2012
    [​IMG]

This weird orange box has leaked all over the board and I need to replace it and I have no idea what it is on the board it says 450k and on the component it says 450b I did a websearch with no luck any help would be appreciated

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    From the color, the dark band on one side and from your description that it has leaked it could be a tantalum capacitor.
    In that case "B" means either the size (L=3,5mm, B=2,8mm, H=2,1mm) or is a code for the voltage.
    As to the number 450 I'm at a loss. Normally these components are labeled with a 3-digit code where the first two numbers give the mantissa and the third digit gives the exponent, all in pF. Thus 450 would be 45*10^0pF=45pF which is nonsensical for a tantalum capacitor.
    Are there any other inscriptions that could help?

3. leeadamaa

leeadamaa

Aug 6, 2012
    Well i just checked it it says 450B under it there is the letter N with what looks like the symbol to the Treyarch game Dev company

[​IMG]

4. leeadamaa

leeadamaa

Aug 6, 2012
    i think i just found it on the net its a ceramic filter

5. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    The only thing I've found that can leak all over the board are batteries.
    It's possible the 'leakage' is something left-over from the manufacturing process when
    they built the board.
    Fluxes and solvents can sometime be trapped under the device (especially box-like devices), and then not be fully washed away when the board is washed after the
    wave-soldering process. Something else I've run into lately is spacers made to hold
    the devices on the board at a certain height for soldering, and then are supposed to dissolve
    in the final board-washing process. Sometimes not all of that residue washes away.
    What kind of a problem are you experiencing with the circuit, or is this just something
    you noticed now, and your circuit works alright?

6. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    450kHz for the AM IF on pin 18 of the BA1450S.

7. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    As KJ6EAD pretty much said, it's a 450kHz ceramic filter as detailed in the datasheet should be hooked to pin 18...

[​IMG]

8. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
  9. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Nothing in them to leak, is there?

10. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    There shouldn't be. The liquid residue doesn't look like capacitor electrolyte but I'd be looking real hard for a blown bottom vent anyway. From the extent of residue coverage, either the board was vertical or the liquid came from an outside source, maybe a cat or dog that doesn't like the radio program.

11. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    no there isnt..... its similar to that other thread I responded in recently about a crystal on a board with brown stuff around it.

Its glue, crystals, resonators etc are usually glued in place for vibration protection

cheers
    Dave

Ask a Question