Connect with us

Need relay that operates with 3.8 VDC input.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Sensor One, Jan 5, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Sensor One

Sensor One

Jan 5, 2017
    Hello,
    I have an input of 3.8 VDC and I am looking for a relay that I can use. I have seen only 5VDC relays and I am wonder if I can use the 5VDC using 3.8VDC as input.
    Thanks,

2. Audioguru

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
    The datasheet for every relay shows its minimum pull-in voltage. I haven't used a relay for about 45 years so I cannot remember if it is a certain ratio of its nominal voltage.

3. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    If you can find 5 V somewhere (maybe the circuit from which your 3.8 V DC is derived) you can use it to power the relay through a transistor switch controlled by your 3.8 V DC. If the raw DC supply voltage is much higher than 3.8 V DC, you can use a relay with a higher coil voltage, still controlling it with a transistor. Either way, a diode across the relay coil is required to protect the transistor from coil back-emf that occurs when the transistor is turned off after conducting to energize the coil.

You might also want to try this relay with a 3 V DC coil for reliable operation from 3.8 V DC, with or without a transistor switch.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  4. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    What do you want to control with the relay? Have you considered using a solid state switch instead of the relay?

Ask a Question