Connect with us

Need Project Help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by AnotherUser, Aug 24, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. AnotherUser

AnotherUser

Aug 24, 2012
    Alright, I really don't know a lot about electronics, I've got basic ideas but I need help.

What I'd like to do is have a set (maybe two) of lights and a horn that can be triggered with a trigger button as seen below.

[​IMG]

I don't think this would be hard, the thing I'm not sure how to do is make the lights flash and how to trigger the whole thing (relay?)

I plan on just using some cheap DC car lamps and again a cheap horn from Harbor Freight or something. All will be ran off a car battery, if possible.

Can I get some help with this? Let me know if you need more info.

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    so long as they dont have any current requirements just get a 12VDC (high amperage say somewhere around 20+) switch and connect everything in parallel connected to one side of the switch, the other side of the switch connected to the battery, and the other side of the lights & horn to the negative side of the battery

switch the switch closed and you close the circuit turning on the lights and horn, then switch it again to open the circuit stopping everything

3. AnotherUser

AnotherUser

Aug 24, 2012
    What about making the lights blink in a strobe fashion? I'd like to hold the button for ~3-5 seconds for the horn and have the lights flashing during that time.

4. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    You could use a 555 timer and have it trip some relays that would turn on and off the lights depending on the configuration that you have it in.

for this you would probably need a 5V source as well (or a voltage regulator down to 5 volts or so) and have that right after the switch to power the 555 timer

5. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Fast strobe or just blink? If you want them to just blink you could use an automotive blinker, if you want strobe like blinking instead of regular lights you could get strobe lights, they just happen to make them for cars... A little costly, but a dead simple way to accomplish the effect...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XENON-HEADL...Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_917wt_1163

You can also go cheaper like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x22-led-white-Flashing-Strobe-Light-waterproof-12V-Car-LED-/230841693583?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bf3cb58f&vxp=mtr

Or this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-L...es&hash=item4abb2d4a31&vxp=mtr#ht_2904wt_1397

There are of course other ways to go about it, like the 555 time as has been suggested, they will be lower cost but more work...

Ask a Question