Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need on a high watt led

mrel

Jul 2, 2008
Hello
I connect this led to a 12 volts battery ,i put led mounted on heatsink.
I notice less one second led get so hot that it melt solder off the wire that connect to led.
I connect led direct to 12 volt battery since led is rated for 12 volt.
So what am i do wrong?
Included in this thread detailed description of the led , from goldmine.
Detailed Description

Super power LED type CL-L220-C16N-A by Citizen produces a typical luminous flux of 1150 lumens. This LED is seriously powerful. Produces a blinding cool white light that should not be viewed directly at close distances as it is just too bright to look at. Operates on 10.5V to 12.9VDC at up to 1.68Amp. Note this LED must be mounted to a heat sink and should be used with a current regulated supply. Overall size 1.1" X .7" X 0.035" thick. Actual active area about 0.55" square. Active area contains about 72 powerful tiny white LEDs. Brand new .

mrel

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hello
I connect this led to a 12 volts battery ,i put led mounted on heatsink.
I notice less one second led get so hot that it melt solder off the wire that connect to led.
I connect led direct to 12 volt battery since led is rated for 12 volt.
So what am i do wrong?
Included in this thread detailed description of the led , from goldmine.
Detailed Description

Super power LED type CL-L220-C16N-A by Citizen produces a typical luminous flux of 1150 lumens. This LED is seriously powerful. Produces a blinding cool white light that should not be viewed directly at close distances as it is just too bright to look at. Operates on 10.5V to 12.9VDC at up to 1.68Amp. Note this LED must be mounted to a heat sink and should be used with a current regulated supply. Overall size 1.1" X .7" X 0.035" thick. Actual active area about 0.55" square. Active area contains about 72 powerful tiny white LEDs. Brand new .

mrel
What kind of heat-sink did you use, and how did you power the device?
Please note the voltage is not 'the' acceptable voltage range of the device, but is actually the 'expected' voltage range of the device when you operate it at 1.68Amps ... This variation means that running it at 12V could result in more than 1.68Amps being drawn through the device causing excessive heat and damage.

Please do one of two things:
-Purchase a Constant Current LED driver for the LED module you are using. (Ideal)
-Use a high power resistor to help limit the current draw of the LED to prevent over-current conditions.

*You may need to use a bigger heat-sink, or mount it differently using a heat-sink compound/paste to help transfer heat away from the LED. More on this when you provide details.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
mrel, you really need to read this.

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
Start by including a one ohm 5 watt wire wound resistor in series with the LED.