Connect with us

Need Help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by hdeljerz, Oct 7, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. hdeljerz

hdeljerz

Oct 7, 2013
    Hello,

I am new to the site and I could use some help. I presently work in maintenance and would like to become a certified electronics technician to improve my resume and become more skilled. Can anybody here point me to the best way to start learning the electronics trade. There is a Lincoln Tech program about an hour away, but it is far too expensive. The community college up the road offers an associate's in electronics engineering technology. The program is not accredited by the ABET though so I'm not sure I want to spend my money on that program either. I'm really just looking for any feedback or suggestions on the best place to start.

Thanks in advance.

2. c131frdave

c131frdave

Oct 4, 2013
    I manage power plants, and most of my instrument and controls guys have a 2 year associates from a community college. They make between 50k and 80k. If you don't mind living where the jobs are (maybe 1000 miles form where you are now), you will do very well.

3. hdeljerz

hdeljerz

Oct 7, 2013
    Thanks for the reply Dave. I'm confident I could find a higher paying job relatively locally (Jersey Shore-about 50 miles south of NYC). From the standpoint of plant manager, would it matter to you if a candidate for an open technician job didn't have an associates that was accredited by the ABET?

4. c131frdave

c131frdave

Oct 4, 2013
    I care most if a guy knows his stuff. I know a lot about power plant specific controls and instrumentation calibration myself, so I can do a pretty good interview and figure out if you know what you are doing. However, a lot of managers go strictly by education and experience. If you go after a government job (where the pay is even better), they look almost exclusively at education. Bill Gates couldn't get a job as a computer programmer with the government- that is a fact.

You could get a good job where you are most likely, but if you don't have hands on experience, get a degree. It will serve you better than a certification. Or, go in the Navy or Air Force and learn your electronics there. Free education and experience, plus a guaranteed civilian government job when you get out mostly likely making six figures.

Ask a Question