Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help with using decimals on a 7 segment display

subway5411

Jul 29, 2016
Hello, I'm new to this whole microprocessor thing, and I am trying to run a 7 segment display through a decimal. (0-9) I have this selector switch thing that will allow you to choose a number / output from 0-9, and I want the LED display to respond to that. I kinda looked this up online and what I found could work was to use a Decimal to BCD encoder, then a BCD to 7 segment decoder. This runs off of 3.3v with each display having 7 200 ohm resistors. I am also using a common anode display. Could someone let me know what I need to do this?

Thanks!

subway5411

Jul 29, 2016
Sorry if I said that wrong, what I am trying to do is get a number from a single push button. Ex, Pressing 0, will display 0 in the same column, and so on. I have this keypad from 0-9 out of an old nixie box that i'm trying to hook up to an LED display. They are just simple chained push button switches. I have to make 14 of these things, and I dont want to get a bunch of diodes. Here are some pictures to better explain what I want to do.

Here is the selector: (One row goes to one display)

tPcX5gS.jpg

Here is the unfinished LED Board, which has 7 digits: (For each row of 0-9 on selector)

1b6uAuJ.jpg

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
Sorry if I said that wrong, what I am trying to do is get a number from a single push button. Ex, Pressing 0, will display 0 in the same column, and so on. I have this keypad from 0-9 out of an old nixie box that i'm trying to hook up to an LED display. They are just simple chained push button switches. I have to make 14 of these things, and I dont want to get a bunch of diodes. Here are some pictures to better explain what I want to do.

Here is the selector: (One row goes to one display)

tPcX5gS.jpg

Here is the unfinished LED Board, which has 7 digits: (For each row of 0-9 on selector)

1b6uAuJ.jpg

A 74147 us a Priority encoder and will do the decimal (1 of 10) to BCD part for you. I don't know if you will find one in a 3,3 V family. There are many BCD to 7 segment decoder / drivers available.