Connect with us

Need help with speaker fundamentals...

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by herbeapuce, Dec 12, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. herbeapuce

herbeapuce

Dec 11, 2013
    Hi. I am new to this forum, and electronic is not my force...I come to you because I need help with my DIY Electronic game caller... now I salvaged this horn speaker from a job site and I would like to understand the spec on the speaker and what they mean

here's the speaker spec:
    [​IMG].. what do they mean please?

Now if I were to buy a cheap 12 Volt stereo amplifier , such as this one.

http://dx.com/p/60w-stereo-audio-amplifier-for-car-motorcycle-golf-cart-red-91350

- On what setting I should set the adjustment on the speaker ? Please elaborate as much as you want on what each one does to the speaker....

- since I will have only one speaker and a Stereo amp, it is OK to joint the R and L lines together , and the 2 grounds together, then connecting the speaker ?

- I am also in the market for an innenpensive wireless switch, that could trigger my MP3 player ( or be connected to the power source ?? )... if you know of a good and cheap model, please let me know.

thanks for your time.
    Stef.
    PS I first tried to post in the newsgroup Electronic Beginner Forum but it wouldn't let me...

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi Stef
    welcome to electronics Point :)

firstly the newsgroups are basically just an archive
    always post in the main sections of the forum, as you have :)

OK to your horn speaker, it is designed for 70V and 100V speaker line systems
    this is where you can have dozens of speakers throughout a shopping mall, large department store or other building site
    This speaker isn't suitable for the amplifier you have shown as the amp's output is the 4 - 16 Ohm range .... the standard for home/car stereo systems
    if you set the speaker to the 21 Ohm setting, you will get sound out, just not as much as expected. And there is a possibility if you overdrive the amplifier
    it will get damaged due to feeding into an incorrect impedance speaker

NO, DONT tie any of the amplifier output lines together ! that will almost definitely cause damage to the amplifier

cheers
    Dave

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  3. herbeapuce

herbeapuce

Dec 11, 2013
    thank you for your answer Dave.

I will try to get another speaker.

do you suggest I also get a Mono amplifier ? those are probably not as common as stereos...
    or can I use only one of the 2 line and use a sound source that was recorded for a single speaker ?
    thanks

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    what do you want to feed into the amp ?
    a music source or a microphone, maybe both?
    what will the situation be that the system is used in?

Dave

5. solo2racr

solo2racr

Aug 21, 2013
    That amp, I will bet money on, is based on a Chinese clone of a TA2020 Tripath chip. Take a look at this Lepai http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-...-mini-amplifier-without-power-supply--310-301 Particularly the back side. Identical. Now, I have one of the Lepai amps that I have modded beyond recognition. BEST case, at 13.4 volt, it will produce only 15watts/channel and it can not be bridged. I would look elsewhere for an amp. The speaker looks like it's intended for a 70v amp. Common for commercial PA and paging systems. Not really intended for use with "normal" amps, ie: for consumer use.

6. herbeapuce

herbeapuce

Dec 11, 2013
    my intention was to connect my MP3 player to a small Amplifier

this system will be used as a goose call. it would imitate the sound of a large flock of geese, and paired with plastic decoys at the ground. this bring the wild birds at closer range...
    can not plug into an outlet, needs to be on 12 volt or around for portability
    I have seen video where some guy are using a radio shack mini amp and it seems to work. this one here I believe ; http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062620
    they used this powerhorn : http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104031

but I rather buy from DX, as I get it shipped to Canada fro free ....

thanks
    stef

7. herbeapuce

herbeapuce

Dec 11, 2013
    I have found that by removing the small transformer inside the unit, I now get a speaker with a 9 ohm impedance... so it will work fine now...
    thanks
    stef

8. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    yes that's a way around it :)

Dave

Ask a Question