Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help with placement of 3 prong switch

ron2k_1

Dec 17, 2014
Hi,

I've designed this mobile power box to power few 12v devices I own. However, I'm noticing that the voltmeter, although not by much, is depleting the charge of the battery.
20160723_171540.jpg

This is how it is wired:
20160723_171426.jpg

Power%20Box1.png

So, obviously, if I don't know where to place the switch, then you can assume my electronics knowledge is pretty basic. But I went to the hardware store and bought this 15A switch, and it doesn't offer any indications as to which wires go where.
round_rocker_switch_large.jpg

I found several videos on youtube so I think I know what goes on each prong, but I didn't know it had to be this complicated on for my small project. The fuse on the positive charge is 7.5A, the switch is 15A. And the power requirement for the devices are 12V 750mA, and another one for 1.5A. Is my switch and fuse adequate?

Thanks

Ron

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Try battery positive to centre terminal.
Load to one of the others...don't know which one the internal LED is connected to or if you even require it.
Sort of "suck it and see".
Other than that, a link to details of the switch .

ron2k_1

Dec 17, 2014
It was a no brand in white lil plastic bag switch. No details on the package or the switch itself as to what goes where. But this is what I know from YouTube. The bronze prong is ground. The middle silver is +in and the other silver is +out.

So the questions are:
1. Do I connect the switch before or after the fuse?
2. Do I tap on the ground wire or connect straight to the Negative battery pole
3. Are my amperage fuses and switch adequate?

Edit: Oh and this is unrelated to the switch question, but I equally need help on:
4. When charging the battery with no device plugged in, can I connect a battery tender as is, or do I unplug all wires from battery, or can I just turn off the switch?
5. I welded all the connections, but my welding skills are terrible. Big bulges. I heard a guy on YouTube that big bulge welds create significant resistance. I tested the cigarette sockets and they're giving me the same voltage as the voltmeter. Is that statement correct and necessary for me to redo all connections?

Last edited:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
1. Connect switch after the fuse.
2. No idea what you mean there....seems to be the same statement. Also you seem to have answered your own question regarding connection to the switch.
BUT anyhow, ...connect positive from fuse to middle silver......out to the load positive via other silver and connect a wire from the negative terminal to the switch bronze prong. You can continue on from there to the rest of your circuit negative OR take another wire from the battery negative to your circuit negative. Doesn't really matter either way.
Fuse size...add up your loads and add a bit extra.(maybe 20%) Depends what your load is.
No comment on bulging joints as I can't see from here.
Keep a check on them and if they start to heat up when on load or if things go belly-up and don't work anymore, then redo them.