Connect with us

Need help with microswitch wiring

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by matteuk, Oct 14, 2012.

1. matteuk

matteuk

Oct 14, 2012
    Hello I'm going a art project with L.E.D s i have some knowledge of circuitry i have an leds panel a 9v battery and a micro switch and basically I'm trying to wire the circuit so that when the micro switch is pressed the light is cut off here is the switch in question

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150915304468?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

iv tired wiring it in many different ways but i can only get the leds to come on when the switch is pressed which is not what i want. or the light just stays on and does nothing when the switch is pressed please help me understand this problem thanks guys.

2. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    That's a Normally Closed Momentary Switch. I don't see how that can be unless your wiring the switch contacts across the LED. The switch should be wired in series with the LED and limiting resistor.

Chris

3. krishna42099

krishna42099

Oct 1, 2012
    Just make sure, whether you got the right switch or not, I mean the switch you got is really a momentary switch (always closed and opens the circuit when you pressed it)...

Once if you're happy, follow this circuit....

Should work then...Good luck :)

Attached Files:

• EX1.jpg
      EX1.jpg
      File size:
      39.9 KB
      Views:
  4. matteuk

matteuk

Oct 14, 2012
    by open do you mean the light should turn off?

thanks for the replies does anyone know where i could find the right switch? possibly the same size.

thanks

5. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    Your physical pinout should look like this. It's typical for most miniature PCB switches.

Chris

Attached Files:

6. matteuk

matteuk

Oct 14, 2012
    ahh so you wire the positive to both pins 1 and 2 and the neutral to 3 and 4? i previously only use one pin each for positive and negative.

So if i do this the light will be always on and off when button is pressed?

thanks

7. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    Pins 1 & 2 are connected internally. So are 3 & 4. You can use either 1 or 2 and 3 or 4. When these switches are mounted on a PCB pins 1 & 2 usually connect to a single pad. Same for 3 & 4. We do this because these switches are very small and delicate.

Yes, if it really is a NC switch the LED will remain lit until you push the switch. It will remain OFF only as long as you're pushing it.

Chris

8. matteuk

matteuk

Oct 14, 2012
    thanks one more question, if the ebay seller has messed me around and they are just standard switches can you please point me in the right direction of a a nc switch but at the same size. it needs to be very small for what i want to achieve thanks

9. Rleo6965

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
    Post picture of your wiring connection of your LED and push button switch. You might need not to buy another one. Probably you connect it wrong.

10. matteuk

matteuk

Oct 14, 2012
    this simple circuit but with the micro switch attached to the natural wire

Attached Files:

11. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    The switch isn't clear enough to see how it's wired. In fact, if you didn't tell us otherwise I would have guessed that it was an in-line fuse holder.

Chris

12. Rleo6965

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
    Very unusual connection. :)

Can you post close up picture of wiring connection on terminal of 6 push button switch.

Another close up picture on LED wiring and the battery source. This way we can analyze your connection properly.

Ask a Question