Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help with microswitch wiring

matteuk

Oct 14, 2012
Hello I'm going a art project with L.E.D s i have some knowledge of circuitry i have an leds panel a 9v battery and a micro switch and basically I'm trying to wire the circuit so that when the micro switch is pressed the light is cut off here is the switch in question

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150915304468?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

iv tired wiring it in many different ways but i can only get the leds to come on when the switch is pressed which is not what i want. or the light just stays on and does nothing when the switch is pressed please help me understand this problem thanks guys.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Hello I'm going a art project with L.E.D s i have some knowledge of circuitry i have an leds panel a 9v battery and a micro switch and basically I'm trying to wire the circuit so that when the micro switch is pressed the light is cut off here is the switch in question

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150915304468?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

iv tired wiring it in many different ways but i can only get the leds to come on when the switch is pressed which is not what i want. or the light just stays on and does nothing when the switch is pressed please help me understand this problem thanks guys.

That's a Normally Closed Momentary Switch. I don't see how that can be unless your wiring the switch contacts across the LED. The switch should be wired in series with the LED and limiting resistor.

Chris

krishna42099

Oct 1, 2012

Just make sure, whether you got the right switch or not, I mean the switch you got is really a momentary switch (always closed and opens the circuit when you pressed it)...

Once if you're happy, follow this circuit....

Should work then...Good luck :)

Attachments

• EX1.jpg
    EX1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 797

matteuk

Oct 14, 2012
Just make sure, whether you got the right switch or not, I mean the switch you got is really a momentary switch (always closed and opens the circuit when you pressed it)...

Once if you're happy, follow this circuit....

Should work then...Good luck :)

by open do you mean the light should turn off?

thanks for the replies does anyone know where i could find the right switch? possibly the same size.

thanks

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Your physical pinout should look like this. It's typical for most miniature PCB switches.

Chris

Attachments

• PcbPbSw.JPG
    PcbPbSw.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,293

matteuk

Oct 14, 2012
Your physical pinout should look like this. It's typical for most miniature PCB switches.

Chris

ahh so you wire the positive to both pins 1 and 2 and the neutral to 3 and 4? i previously only use one pin each for positive and negative.

So if i do this the light will be always on and off when button is pressed?

thanks

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
ahh so you wire the positive to both pins 1 and 2 and the neutral to 3 and 4? i previously only use one pin each for positive and negative.

So if i do this the light will be always on and off when button is pressed?

thanks

Pins 1 & 2 are connected internally. So are 3 & 4. You can use either 1 or 2 and 3 or 4. When these switches are mounted on a PCB pins 1 & 2 usually connect to a single pad. Same for 3 & 4. We do this because these switches are very small and delicate.

Yes, if it really is a NC switch the LED will remain lit until you push the switch. It will remain OFF only as long as you're pushing it.

Chris

matteuk

Oct 14, 2012
Pins 1 & 2 are connected internally. So are 3 & 4. You can use either 1 or 2 and 3 or 4. When these switches are mounted on a PCB pins 1 & 2 usually connect to a single pad. Same for 3 & 4. We do this because these switches are very small and delicate.

Yes, if it really is a NC switch the LED will remain lit until you push the switch. It will remain OFF only as long as you're pushing it.

Chris

thanks one more question, if the ebay seller has messed me around and they are just standard switches can you please point me in the right direction of a a nc switch but at the same size. it needs to be very small for what i want to achieve thanks

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
Post picture of your wiring connection of your LED and push button switch. You might need not to buy another one. Probably you connect it wrong.

matteuk

Oct 14, 2012
Post picture of your wiring connection of your LED and push button switch. You might need not to buy another one. Probably you connect it wrong.

this simple circuit but with the micro switch attached to the natural wire

Attachments

• IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 300

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
The switch isn't clear enough to see how it's wired. In fact, if you didn't tell us otherwise I would have guessed that it was an in-line fuse holder.

Chris

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
Very unusual connection. :)

Can you post close up picture of wiring connection on terminal of 6 push button switch.

Another close up picture on LED wiring and the battery source. This way we can analyze your connection properly.