Connect with us

need HELP! with figuring out my LED/Resistor problem!

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by hldfst, Nov 21, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. hldfst

hldfst

Nov 21, 2012
    So basically I am making these tattoo power supply adapter boxes. the function of them is that they have a 1/8 cord that plugs into a variable 2v-18v DC power supply and from the adapter box there is two 1/8 input jacks so that you can run two clipcords and there is a on/off/on toggle switch to switch between jacks. There is a single red 2v 20ma led for each side that should turn on whenever each side is given power by the footpedal connected to the power supply itself. Now the problem I am having is that I cannot find a resistor that will power these leds. somehow when i made my first one whatever resistors i used worked and i went out and bought the same resistors and now i cant get any power to the leds at all. Ive tried 1k ohm, 470ohm, 10k ohm, etc and nothing works at all. I just have no idea what to do next and getting these working is the last part to finish these boxes.
    here is the simple wiring diagram for how ive wired the insides of the boxes, is there a better way to wire the leds so that they only turn on when each side is given power from the power supply? and what should i do about the resistors? any help is appreciated thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Wheelie016

Wheelie016

Nov 20, 2012
    If it worked before, I would suspect a connection as come undone, possibly. Otherwise I have no clue. XD

3. hldfst

hldfst

Nov 21, 2012
    I wish it was that problem haha, ive built 4 complete ones since the first one that worked and all of them have the same problem with the leds

anyone have any ideas??

4. Externet

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
    Chances are the LEDS died, were reversed later, or the power supply died, or both.

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    edit: Having a bad day. I read it as an AC power supply!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  6. gorgon

gorgon

Jun 6, 2011
    If you feed a motor directly from these sockets, you'll have problems when you turn the motor off, or maybe also when it runs. This is due to the induced reverse voltage you'll get from it. Place a reversed diode (like 1n4001) in parallel over the LED and you should protect this from the reversed voltage spikes.

Ask a Question