Connect with us

Need help with Dining Table LED Circuit

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by cuica, Jan 19, 2014.

1. cuica

cuica

Jan 19, 2014
    Hello all,

I'm trying to build the circuit shown here on a breadboard: http://www.evilmadscientist.com/images/articles/diningtablecircuit_2.jpg

It seems pretty straightforward, but I think I am doing something wrong with the supply and ground.

I'm using a 24V supply and a voltage divider (two 4.7K resistors) to give me -12V, +12V and the ground, but I get no results from teh circuit.

I've tried building just the transimpedance amp on its own, and i can't get this to work either.

No matter what the intensity of light on the photodiode the voltage at the output remains a steady +11V.

Any help much appreciated... I presume i am doing something wrong in the way I have set up the supply and ground.

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    1) The voltage divider alone has a much too highh resistance to work as a virtual ground. Use a buffered circuit for this.

2) The highly resistive ground may be a reason for the transimpedance amplifier's behavior. Any offset of the OpAmp can easily drive it into saturation. Try using a good laboratory power supply with +112V output or use 2*9V batteries to ensure a stable ground (0V). If that works, go on and build a goof virtual ground (see 1).

3. cuica

cuica

Jan 19, 2014
    Harald,

Many thanks for your reply and the link to that excellent article!

I'll give it a try tomorrow...

Ask a Question