Connect with us

Need help with arduino and L293D chip

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by Xeuscryste, Jul 27, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Xeuscryste

Xeuscryste

Jun 20, 2012
    OR would this test work using the diagram with the power coming from the arduino instead of the battery?

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi Xeuscryste,

I have been following this thread for some time .... you really need to listen carefully to what cocacola is telling you. He is trying to help you. But you are not following his instructions too much.
    You need to be MORE than "and am willing to work with you" This is YOUR project remember, NOT cocacola's You have to listen to what is being asked and respond to those questions with the appropriate info, rather than just making a comment on something else. Cocacola has asked a couple of times for specific info from you and he is still awaiting for that info.
    BUT BEFORE you do anything else... before you make another post
    GET ANOTHER 9V BATTERY !!

You cannot make the tests till you get your power supplies sorted out for your meter and your project

cheers
    Dave

3. Xeuscryste

Xeuscryste

Jun 20, 2012
    Ok boss.

4. Xeuscryste

Xeuscryste

Jun 20, 2012
    i was able to find another battery, i tested it with the multimeter and it shows no voltage. Do you know the solution?

5. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    have you checked the battery directly with a multimeter or are you telling us that in your project it comes out as 0V ?
    finding a secondhand battery may be ok for some but as you are having issues already I will suggest getting a brand new, straight out of the box battery. this will definately rule out the battery then

6. Xeuscryste

Xeuscryste

Jun 20, 2012
    New results, the command does communicate with the motor BUT the motor only moves VERY slightly, also the chip gets hot.

7. Xeuscryste

Xeuscryste

Jun 20, 2012
    nEW RESULTS: the code WORKS, turns it left and right, BUT, the motor is constantly running, how do i get it to run ONLY when i send the command?

8. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    from the code given and the example I see in your first post there is no ""off"
    if the pin is low/off it rotates one way, if it is high/on it rotates the other. in digital electronics there is no other state.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  9. Xeuscryste

Xeuscryste

Jun 20, 2012
    How can I change it to give an "off" command?

10. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    put a power switch in there is the simplest way. on either of the wires leading to the motor

11. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    the alternative would be a transistor on one of the wires(someone can show you a diagram I am sure) and connect it to the arduino with an additional code line on the pin you connected telling it to go high or low for on and off.

12. Xeuscryste

Xeuscryste

Jun 20, 2012
    No I mean through command, I'm trying to make an application in visual studio, so I can use left right up down keyboard keys to control motor direction. I need the motor to turn left when I hold the left arrow and then when I release it, it goes back to neutral etc

13. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    read my last post. oh and you wanting to learn or just get an answer?

14. Xeuscryste

Xeuscryste

Jun 20, 2012
    Learn and get an answer, both at the same time.

15. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    well actually an easier way is to change both values to low, no power then

16. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    if you put both to high you will end up shorting things

17. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    so essentially what you are doing is when one is high the other is low the electrons flow one way, when its opposite they flow the other way. when they are both low no electron flow when both high electrons short circuit

18. Xeuscryste

Xeuscryste

Jun 20, 2012
    So in visual studio is it an option to assign that low low command to when you take your finger off the left or right key?

19. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    don't know visual studio you will have to get someone better at coding, and someone who knows that program

20. Xeuscryste

Xeuscryste

Jun 20, 2012
    Check out the Jp projects wifi car on google , he has an app he made in visual studio to control his car, that's exactly what I want.

Ask a Question