Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help understanding this circuit

bhtre123

Oct 18, 2012
Hello there,
I am trying to power multiple LEDs with a number of these circuits in parallel, but I don't understand why there is a LED symbol where the arrow points to the "opto-isolator in solid state relay." Any help understanding this would be greatly appreciated.

astable_circuit.GIF

Last edited:

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Because on the site that image was created for there was likely an option pointed out to drive higher loads using solid state relays in place of the LEDs if one chose to do so...

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Thank you for your response! Here is the actual site: http://tap364.webs.com/construction.htm The image is near the bottom, with an explanation beneath. I don't believe that he mentions driving a higher load.

Doesn't mean he/she is the source of the original image and/or circuit ;)

He mentions using relays and he also talks about using 'bulbs' from an x-mas light strand, those are a significantly higher load then a single LED...

bhtre123

Oct 18, 2012
Haha. And dang, you're right. I totally forgot about that. I guess my real question is how the relays are part of the circuit, as in where they would go. Thanks for your help so far, I really appreciate it. :D

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Solid state relays are an LED on one side and the output on the other, you would simply replace the existing LED with the LED side of the optocoupler aka solid state relay...

bhtre123

Oct 18, 2012
Okay, so the LED represents a solid state relay, essentially. Thank you for your help!

bhtre123

Oct 18, 2012
Duh.

I feel like a complete idiot now. I just had an epiphany about what both of you were talking about, especially driving a higher load and how the LED represents the actual octocoupler and the output of the relay is not included. Wow, that was total noobage right there. Thank you for helping me to understand something I should have already known. :eek: