Connect with us

Need help to build powerful electric magnet.

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by daveem Dave M, Feb 18, 2004.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. I discovered that I have a small metal splinter in my finger, that has
    gone so deep, I am not able to remove it with a conventional tweezers
    and needle, unless I do some deep cutting, and I didn't even notice it,
    until I had my finger near a permanent magnet yesterday, and felt
    something deep beneath my skin trying to move around, so yesterday I
    constructed an electric magnet, in the hope that I could extract it with
    a strong magnetic field, but apparently it was not strong enough, and
    while I understand the basics of electromagnetism, I am not sure how one
    can build an electric magnet, that has a strong enough field to do the
    job, other then passing as large a current as possible, through many
    turns of wire that are wrapped around a metal core, and any help would
    be very appreciated.
    Thanks, Dave
     
  2. Forget about electromagnets. Take an old hard drive apart and
    retrieve the super powerful permanent magnets form the heat
    positioning motor. These are strong enough to be dangerous if you get
    between them.
     
  3. CBarn24050

    CBarn24050 Guest

    you have no chance, what you need is a bottle of whisky and a friend with a
    scapel.
     
  4. Clint Sharp

    Clint Sharp Guest

    It's not a metal splinter, it's an
    alien/CIA/Illuminati/Government/Communist/<insert conspiracy theory of
    choice here> mind-control/tracking/mind-control tracking device, that's
    why you can't get it out.
     
  5. Place the finger between news2020's head and the secret guys' laser and
    it will evaporate in seconds.

    Cheers!

    Chip Shults
     
  6. Bob Masta

    Bob Masta Guest

    This may not be serious option, but note that the magnets
    used in MRI scans are so powerful that the operators
    have to worry about pulling out long-embedded metal
    splinters. If you are getting a head scan, for example,
    they take great precautions (X-rays, even) if there is
    any chance there might be an old metal splinter in
    your eye.

    But unless you are friends with an MRI operator,
    I'd recommend the tried and true scalpel approach.
    Or just ignore it if it isn't causing any trouble... it
    may work itself out over time, and if not it will probably
    be dissolved by your system. (A little extra iron in
    your blood!)


    Bob Masta
    dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

    D A Q A R T A
    Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
    www.daqarta.com
     
  7. No, you put the finger between two powerful magnets, like out of a large
    speaker or out of hard drives, and the pressure as the magnets attract
    squeezes the metal out of the finger.

    That's more viable than expecting a strong magnet to pull the metal out.

    But I don't expect it to work. You're right, cutting is the only way.

    Michael
     
  8. DarkMatter

    DarkMatter Guest

    Lance the area, and remove the splinter with the weaker magnet.
    There is no magnet that will pull it back through the skin.

    Loose the WebTV... very bad ISP... Just advice..
     
  9. DarkMatter

    DarkMatter Guest


    Not too sharp there, Clint.
     
  10. DarkMatter

    DarkMatter Guest

    Ther was actually a smidgeon of humor there.
     
  11. MG

    MG Guest

    Dave, humur apart, some sensible points have been made on other posts. I
    have one more comment to offer, pulling the sliver out with one application
    may not work, short of the powerful MRI magnets, but you may let TIME work
    for you if you apply whaterver contraptions of permanent magnets to your
    fingers before go to bed each night, The sliver will be under constant pull
    and since the body is constantly rebuilding itself the sliver will slowly
    reach the skin, at that point you will notice and take out the old exacto
    knife. It may take 3 or 6 month though. Let us know on this NG before you
    publish this new low intrusion surgical technique on some medical NG.
    Chuckles...

    MG
     
  12. It is not easy to make an electromagnet more powerful than rare earth
    magnets. I would advise some of those smaller rare earth magnets that get
    removed from or made for some headphones or some hard drives in the past
    couple decades. Smaller is probbly better - the pull on a piece of
    magnetic material is greater when you increase the extent to which the
    magnetic field is stronger or more direct on one end of the particle than
    on the other end.
    I was under the impression that if a foreign object was below the
    epidermis, there is not much tendency for it to move outward - especially
    if not in the way of a hair follicle.

    If the skin healed over the offending particle and there is no infection
    (and you go a week or two with unbroken skin and no infection), then I
    suspect there is no harm in leaving the particle in place. The particle
    could be there 10 or 20 years later with no harm.

    But if the object is in a fingertip, then I would want to cut it out.
    Fingertips heal well.

    - Don Klipstein ()
     
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day

-