Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help rigging Airconditioner thermistor to outwit the dimwits

32Vwasbetteronboats

Feb 18, 2017
Figure%202_Gosselin-web.jpg

www.google.com/search?q=air+conditioner+thermistor

What I am hoping to do is outsmart the people at the place I work who believe if they turn the thermostat on the window ACs down to 60 degrees they will blow colder. I try and explain the machine turns on or off based on temperature and that turning it down won't make it any more on then it already is. They turn it down to 60 then go out all day. I am in Florida.

If I was to add the proper resistor in series with the thermistor I should be able to make a setting of 60 degrees act like 70 right ??

I want to make a deal with the owner of this place that if I can lower the electric bill by $800 I can get the rent on my boat slip behind the place waived. We have about 15 window units, the central air thermostats will need rigging to but many are mercury tilt.

Any ideas to outwit the AC dimwits are also welcome, thanks.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Hey Hop, maybe you can work out a free slip deal like that in your new Florida digs! :)

Chris

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
If all of those are window units , I would certainly not expect the degree of sophistication that you are implying.
Probably there is a high chance of a temp sensing capillary line and a linking into an expansion valve .
If actually using a thermal strip, modification of the limit of movement to the low temp end with a mechanical stop would be in order.
If like the most of the units that I see on the Gulf of Mex . . . the slip houses are of uninsulated sheet metal and would demand continous run time of the AC in June -July- August, to even make a slight dent in any coolness .

PLUS the fishermans mentality is to turn on that unit early on, to get that house as cool as possible for return to . . . . . . .after a 60-70 mile jaunt out to the best fishing grounds.

ALSO wouldnt that ASTUTE ? ? ? ? ? owner /businessman just be throwing / diverting that money destined to the power company, into another rat hole . . . yours.

73s de Edd

32Vwasbetteronboats

Feb 18, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Its right there that incoming air temperature themistor thing. Guess I have to play with the olm meter and some ice cubes and hair dryer to see how it ticks.

32Vwasbetteronboats

Feb 18, 2017
ALSO wouldnt that ASTUTE ? ? ? ? ? owner /businessman just be throwing / diverting that money destined to the power company, into another rat hole . . . yours.

73s de Edd

Not slip houses, transient housing would be most accurate without long explanation.

(if I can lower the electric bill by $800)

My rent is $400 so its $400 into both our 'rat holes'.

$800 should be easy to save, I would imagine anyone posting on a electronics forum sees the incredible amount of electrical waste in most establishments.

Last edited:

32Vwasbetteronboats

Feb 18, 2017
Also I don't like wasting power cause Florida has crooked rules against solar to protect Duke energy. Forget the latest politics, its Florida and solar works. They want everyone monthly payments slaving away, what a crock.

Last edited:

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
How about the brand and model of that brand new depicted unit ?
And yes, running refrigerated air conditioners / heat pumps, really sniff up the power.

Last edited:

Danny Gray

Feb 25, 2017
Figure%202_Gosselin-web.jpg

www.google.com/search?q=air+conditioner+thermistor

What I am hoping to do is outsmart the people at the place I work who believe if they turn the thermostat on the window ACs down to 60 degrees they will blow colder. I try and explain the machine turns on or off based on temperature and that turning it down won't make it any more on then it already is. They turn it down to 60 then go out all day. I am in Florida.

If I was to add the proper resistor in series with the thermistor I should be able to make a setting of 60 degrees act like 70 right ??

I want to make a deal with the owner of this place that if I can lower the electric bill by $800 I can get the rent on my boat slip behind the place waived. We have about 15 window units, the central air thermostats will need rigging to but many are mercury tilt.

Any ideas to outwit the AC dimwits are also welcome, thanks.
Very simple. Put a thermostat in the bosses office with a remote sensor. Put the remote sensor in the return air of the air conditioner. Leave the old thermostat but disconnect the yellow green and white from the old thermostat in the unit. Then everyone can adjust the thermostat all they want and accomplish nothing. Another option is to replace the thermostat with something like the Honeywell pro 5000 that can simply be set up and locked out

32Vwasbetteronboats

Feb 18, 2017
Very simple. Put a thermostat in the bosses office with a remote sensor. Put the remote sensor in the return air of the air conditioner. Leave the old thermostat but disconnect the yellow green and white from the old thermostat in the unit. Then everyone can adjust the thermostat all they want and accomplish nothing. Another option is to replace the thermostat with something like the Honeywell pro 5000 that can simply be set up and locked out

mBwHnaYfItGv5QJ1Qd2jv6A.jpg

That should it. Especially on the central units Thanks.

I was thinking trick the existing thermostats but I could rig one to the window AC as well if I locate I assume a solenoid.