Connect with us

need help reading resistor values

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by wikusm, Sep 9, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. wikusm

wikusm

Sep 9, 2010
    Hi there, I am trying to repair a UPS i got from someone, problem is I cannot seem to calculate the value of these resistors using the colour codes? maybe im doing something wrong!

[​IMG]

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    yellow, white, white, orange, brown?

499K 1%

[​IMG]

3. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    If the colors are yellow, white, white, red, brown; it reads as 499 + 2 zeroes, 1%. (=49900 ohms.)

4. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    well, I was wondering if the last stripe was red or brown, and clearly Resqueline and I disagree on another band.

It's not clear on the image, but I imagine it will be clearer in real life :)

5. wikusm

wikusm

Sep 9, 2010
    i believe its yellow white white red brown yes, thanks a lot! and thank you for the picture, will keep it for future reference :)

6. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Sometimes the bands will make sense if read either way. The tolerance band is normally spaced a little further apart from the other bands.

In your image you can see it more clearly on some resistors than others.

7. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    R49 does seem to be what steve was reading, and R110 was what I was referring to. Good lighting and a magnifying glass are good tools to make sure one gets it right.
    Under poor lighting brown can be mixed with red, and red can be mixed with orange. Green & blue are also at risk of being mixed up, and sometimes violet & blue/grey.
    The tolerance band sometimes also seems to be a tad wider than the rest.

Ask a Question