Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help on relocation a switch and LED

fatfenders

Nov 12, 2011
I am firing up a little project that requires the relocation of a red-blue-green LED and a slide switch. The slide switch as shown (upper two images) is actually 3 positions but functionally only the left and right positions are used. (I don't know why the mfgr used a 3 position switch).
I don't think I have the skill set/tools to actually remove the switch and in any case I would prefer to use a two position toggle switch once remoted. Also, I have to admit I don't really understand just what is connected to what when in the left/right positions. I am thinking I might be able to leave this switch in the center position and carefully solder wires to the existing pins since they protrude out far enough to probably do that.
Re: The LED... I think I have found a replacement on Parts express (Part# 070 509).
Again, I don't think I can remove the existing LED or correctly solder wires to the bottom of the board. I am considering carefully grinding away the existing LED, leaving as much mat'l as possible so I can solder the 4 required wires to the remaining mat'l.

Any/all help appreciated.

bt%2010a.jpg

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The correct approach is to desolder the LED.

Get yourself a solder sucker or some solder wick and practice on some scrap board for a while until you get the hang of it.

If you do it right the LED will just frop out and there won't be any damage to the board or the LED.

fatfenders

Nov 12, 2011
The correct approach is to desolder the LED.

Steve, Thanks for the tip. Worked out just like you said. I have done a little bit of this kind of soldering before but never any desoldering. Being a bit ham fisted with these more delicate operations I didn't have a lot of confidence I could do it. Was easier than I thought. On to the next step!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Great news.

If you have any further queries feel free to ask.