Connect with us

Need help on identifying a part

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by SamuelRowe, Feb 13, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. SamuelRowe

SamuelRowe

Feb 13, 2015
    So recently I scrapped this part out of an old CD/Cassette/Radio system,I believe it was taken from near the CD drive circuit board (Which has motors on it). It has a number/model on it, which reads B91. I just want to know what this part is for knowledge purposes, any and all help would be appreciated, thanks, Samuel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Can you post a clear, in-focus picture?

SamuelRowe likes this.
  3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    It looks like the laser TX/RX unit
    was there a lens in front of this ?

SamuelRowe likes this.
  4. SamuelRowe

SamuelRowe

Feb 13, 2015
    I don't believe it had a lens in front of it, no. And sorry it's as clear as the focus would go :(

5. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    I think what you're asking for is general information.
    It looks like a 'surface mount device', often referred to in discussion as 'SMD'. Can't tell from the picture if it's an integrated circuit chip, or an assembly of some type.
    They call it 'surface mount', because you solder it to the surface of the printed circuit board. A 'thru-hole' device is inserted through a hole in the printed circuit board, and soldered on the back side of the board.
    Is that what you're wondering about? The 'B91' number is a code used by the manufacture so they know what it is, and the numbers are often difficult for outsiders to cross reference and identify the part.
    Often, there will be a company logo on the part. We usually use that to identify the manufacturer, and then try to identify the part, knowing who made the device.

SamuelRowe and KrisBlueNZ like this.
  6. SamuelRowe

SamuelRowe

Feb 13, 2015
    Alright thank you guys, your help has been amazing thanks

7. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    @Samuel I pulled apart a CD/DVD player a couple of hours ago and went into the laser head area

I should have been a little more specific with my first post
    it looks much more like the photodiode detector array for the laser assy.

here's the ones from my unit that are similar looking .....

DSCF5845sm.jpg

DSCF5844sm.jpg

I would put money on your one being the diode detector unit :)

cheers
    Dave

8. SamuelRowe

SamuelRowe

Feb 13, 2015
    Cheers dude! I really appreciate you doing that, your help has been very valuable. Just something I also noticed, the photodiode detector looks awfully similar to a microprocessor, is there any relation between them?

9. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    no, other than its output signal may possibly go into a small microprocessor in the player

SamuelRowe likes this.
Ask a Question