Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help on DC Biasing

BlackMelon

Aug 7, 2012
Hello,

The problem statement is on the file "Bias Ask". After I've seen this, I quickly draw a small signal model of the whole circuit in the file "small signal ask", which allows me to consider this amplifier as "Series-Shunt" or "voltage to voltage" amplifier.

The problem is not with the small signal circuit but the DC biasing. I need to know the DC collector current(IC) first so I can determine the "early resistance, ro". I set the vs=0V... And so what's next? How can I determine the IC since the 200uA is not emitter current? Can we consider the op-amp as an ideal one (V+ = V-) in DC biasing?

Thank you
BlackMelon

Attachments

• Bias Ask.jpg
    Bias Ask.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Small Signal Ask.jpg
    Small Signal Ask.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 124

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Hello,

The problem statement is on the file "Bias Ask". After I've seen this, I quickly draw a small signal model of the whole circuit in the file "small signal ask", which allows me to consider this amplifier as "Series-Shunt" or "voltage to voltage" amplifier.

The problem is not with the small signal circuit but the DC biasing.
What are you going to bias, the transistor?. The op-amp is taking care of the base, and the emitter is 0.7 V less than the base. What more is there to do?

I need to know the DC collector current(IC) first so I can determine the "early resistance, ro". I set the vs=0V.
The collector current will vary depending on what resistance you connect to Vo. And who cares, as long as the BJT can handle the current. If you calculate the voltages, you can calculate the current.

.. And so what's next? How can I determine the IC since the 200uA is not emitter current?
Derive the transfer function assuming a load RL on Vo. Once you know the voltages, you can determine the current.
Can we consider the op-amp as an ideal one (V+ = V-) in DC biasing?
The open loop gain is high, but not infinite. I believe the gain was 100000. Use it in your transfer function. Do you know how to do it? Once you know the transfer function, you can get the input and output impedance by the PIT (Port Immittance Theorem).

Ratch

BlackMelon

Aug 7, 2012
What are you going to bias, the transistor?. The op-amp is taking care of the base, and the emitter is 0.7 V less than the base. What more is there to do?
Ratch

I'm going to find the bias point of the transistor (ICQ, VCEQ)

The collector current will vary depending on what resistance you connect to Vo. And who cares, as long as the BJT can handle the current. If you calculate the voltages, you can calculate the current.
Ratch

You might have to look at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_effect. My ro doesn't mean the "output resistance", but it means the resistance resulting from an Early Effect.
It says in the topic "small signal model" that the ro = VA/IC. We know the early voltage(VA) from the question but we don't know the DC collector current.

Derive the transfer function assuming a load RL on Vo. Once you know the voltages, you can determine the current.

The open loop gain is high, but not infinite. I believe the gain was 100000. Use it in your transfer function. Do you know how to do it? Once you know the transfer function, you can get the input and output impedance by the PIT (Port Immittance Theorem).

Ratch

Ok, I'll look into it carefully. Thank you for the advise :)

BlackMelon