Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help on 8 current sensor signal to RS232 signal to read by controller

strameshkumar

Feb 23, 2012
Hello EE,
I am using 8 current sensor to measure 208V AC current of each line. I have only one digital input pin to read all teh eight signal.
current sensor 1:1000 ratio for 10A.
I have converted to voltage level of 5V. circuit.
All the 8 sensor voltage signals need to be converted to serial input signal to my controlller to read.

What is the circuit i can use ?
Please provide me some circuit or digital conversion methods.

Thanks in Advance
Ramesh

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
You will need more than one line. If the eight 5V circuits are analog, then you need an A/D comnerter since you say your controller has a digital input. You can have 8 A/D converters, or one converter with a 8:1 analog multiplexer in front of it. either way, you have to know how many bits of resolution you need to accurately convey your signal.

For a serial interconnect such as RS-232, I2C, SPI, etc., you need at least two digital signal pins at the controller (plus a ground). At the other end you need power, a microcontroller with a matching interface, something smart enough to control the multiplexer, tell the A/D when to start a conversion cycle, determine the end of a conversion cycle, and transmit both the digital data *and* information saying which sensor the data is coming from back to the system controller.

There are several ways to do each part, some easier than others, but this is not a simple project.

ak